Monday 22 October 2018

trees near Hill Street



There's always a sense of nostalgia whenever I stroll past here.
 
Not least because a long time ago there used to be a famous hawker center here, and which is now no more. Maybe I've written of it before. Maybe I've spoken of it before.
 
But memories don't change.
 
And each retelling brings new perspectives.
 
Mine memories of the Hill Street Hawker Center are of the night.
 
Of the time when I was a young child and The Parent brought me here after a session at the nearby library, and where I had soft, crumbly, perfectly steamed peanut filled tu-tu kueh for the first time.
 
And of the time when a friend and I walked all the way for two hours from Killiney Road to Mohamed Sultan Road and then the Liang Court area before ending up here where we had plates of the famous Hill Street char kuay teow downed with mugs of refreshing sugarcane, before heading back home for the night.  
 
When it was that the hawker center was torn down, and why it even had to be torn down, I no longer remember- too many pursuits in the intervening years there have been- but walking past here right now makes me think of tu-tu kueh, of char kuay teow, of my childhood and my youth, of the years past, and yes, it still brings me a quiet, pensive smile.