Wednesday 24 October 2018

prettty foods: koka Laksa

I've written about instant noodles before.
 
I'm sure of it.
 
It comes with being Asian, and it comes with having a Hygge personality where you love cold weather because you can have something warm, and you love noodles in soup because the feel of it steaming on your face warms the depths of your heart.
 
And for someone who makes no bones about her love for noodles, instant noodles, ban mian, mian fen guo, tang hoon, ramen, kuay teow, ramyun and the like, I'm sure a bowl or two has popped up on this blog before.
 
But what I have here is not (just) a bowl of instant noodles.
 
What I have here is a bowl of Laksa instant noodles.
 
 
Specifically, a bowl of Koka brand laksa instant noodles- The Parent chose the brand-  and although my picture doesn't look Insta-worthy- because environmental lighting plays a part- the taste is as homecooked, and as wonderful as I love it to be.
 
I've had my instant noodles with soups of chicken, seafood, sesame, tom yum, duck, stewed beef, miso, shoyu, cheese, kimchi, and a smattering of other flavors, but I can tell you that laksa is one  flavour that goes very, very well with cuttlefish balls and fish balls. :)
 
No other flavor, except maybe curry, goes as well with fish balls as laksa does. It is either the spice, or the coconut. Either one or the other. :)
 
And what you see right up there is what I call personal preference.
 
Because I'm the sort who will stand by the stove or the cooker and wait and wait and wait, staring at the tiffin carrier or the pot, until my noodles turn soft, almost pudding-like, before I dish them out. 
 
And I'm the sort who likes egg and additional ingredients with my noodles, and there is nothing more precious to me than a steaming dish of noodles topped with beef balls, fish balls, cuttlefish balls, hot dogs, cherry tomatoes, fresh lettuce, and the like.