Tuesday 23 October 2018

the Waterloo Street temple


On occasion I find myself going to places that I normally wouldn't go. Also on occasion I find myself in between places that I normally wouldn't be.
 
But there are days when I so happen to take short cuts.
 
Like this day when I was heading towards Bencoolen Street from Bugis and so decided that the fastest route was to cut through Bugis Street, come out near the Fu Lu Shou Complex and then make a left towards the temple that stands at Waterloo Street.
 
It was a busy scene; it always is, over here. This is one place of worship where worshippers, even elderly ones, make a special trip for to offer incense and sincere prayers. At first I walked through the crowds, near the entrance,  politely refusing the stalks of flowers thrust in my direction by flower sellers underneath their huge umbrellas just outside the main gates.
 
I wanted a picture, but somehow I decided it seemed rather insolent to interrupt their earnest prayers, so I stepped far back from the flower sellers, took our my camera, and snapped this picture.