Tuesday 16 October 2018

Buenos Aires 2018

So out of touch have I been in recent weeks of what's happening in the world, and what's happening on TV that I didn't realize that this was the year for the Youth Olympic Games, and that it was taking place this season over in Argentina.
 
With Russia 2018 happening in June and the Asian Games happening in Indonesia thereafter, I thought that the year was done with major sporting events and the like, so imagine my surprise when I switched channels the other day, discovered an Opening Ceremony broadcasted live on TV, and had to google out what Opening Ceremony it was and what on earth was going on.
 
Sad to say that I didn't get to watch through the entire Tango Performance event... although I certainly could feel the energy from Buenos Aires.
 
Happily I've had a wee bit more time to watch a couple of events since then, and though they're not plentiful- they're mostly broadcasting swimming events by the time I switch to the channel at night, but there's a lot to be seen too. 
 
Like I didn't know that the Japanese excelled in swimming as much as they do in other sports. I mean, I've not had much of a chance to see a Japanese compete in the Olympic Games or any other Games for Swimming thus far.  I've seen them perform at winter sports, skiing, rock climbing, athletics and others, but this was the first I actually watched a Japanese athlete beat other youths in the 200m breaststroke to clinch Gold. 
 
And I didn't know that there were women divers this young from Kazakhstan.
 
Just the other day I managed to catch the Women's 10m Diving Event. It was fascinating, seeing the performance of women divers from countries as diverse as China, Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Ireland, Kazakhstan and Malaysia. I quite liked seeing their swimsuits and pool slides. Plus, it was great seeing Kimberly Bong on the dive platform again- call me suaku, but I didn't know there were divers out from Malaysia... 

I've just finished watching a late broadcast Rugby Sevens match between Japan and South Africa. Japan won, taking the bronze, and I must say I quite appreciated Japan's strategy- they were remarkably neat, well rehearsed and cohesive. I doubt I'll get to watch the Victory Ceremony though, selected programming and all.

And I've just watched another late broadcast featuring New Zealand and France who were vying for Gold in the Women's Rugby Sevens match. 

Well, the Kiwis won. :)