Thursday 9 November 2017

the Tonkichi hire

 
Sesame Seeeeeds!
They've been a stalwart on the fourth floor of Shaw Lido for what must be a very long time. After all, we're talking them being right next to one of Isetan's largest department stores along the stretch of Orchard Road.

But somehow, despite having always seen it there, I've always tended to miss it. Until a few years ago when my dining companion and I decided that we'd do a good meal instead of chowing down fast food before the movie upstairs.

We've been back frequently ever since. No longer just on Thursday afternoons, but as and when we wish to. More on those days when the desire for hire katsu grows strong... :)
 
The environment of Tonkichi is a lovely one. Far from the formal etiquette required of formal Japanese restaurants, it is a diner casual enough for a relaxed lunch with girlfriends, fun enough for a pre-movie meal, or a getting-to-know-you first time date between new-found friends. I've seen colleagues come together with their laptops and handbags. I've seen families come by with their kids. I've seen couples drop in and solo diners having a set by themselves.

Whichever it may be, there's only one reason that we're all here for.

To have a very solid, very satisfying, very attractive meal.
 
One that is prepared with heart, executed with finesse and presented perfectly to the customer.
 
I've never quite gotten down to take a picture of the whole set meal in its entirety. Because I'm usually pretty hungry by the time when i get here, and so what happens is that we quickly place our orders, get cups of Hojicha and once the tray arrives- which we share- right away we divide up the pieces, like okay, you get this, I get this, you want this part or this part, anything also can lar, can we just eat...
 
So I don't really get to take a picture.
 
And by the time I remember that I do have a camera with me, half the dishes on the tray are gone. Like the sashimi, which we split the three pieces into one and a half because the princess in me refuses to give up a more than equal portion. And the appetizer, which I get most of the time cos' pickles are so great to start a meal with, the chawanmushi, which I dig around for the gingko nut and grumble if it's not there, the miso soup, which my companion takes, and the rice. :)
 
But, hey, I've got this.
 
A very good piece of Hire
The hire.
 
Which is so, so good.

We usually have four pieces; two that come with the set, two ala carte.

Each size is a large friendly chunk that whets the appetite on sight. Each piece has a batter that is delicate and light that doesn't distract from the flavor in the meat and which is so gorgeously fried that I don't get any aftertaste. Not only is it beautiful to look at, each piece is delicately crumbled on the outside, absolutely tender on the inside. :)
 
And you know what's the most magical thing about it?

Each piece of hire has actually made me slow down.

Like how life is meant to be lived in the singular present moment, like how life is not meant to be lived in the past, or in the future, each piece of hire reminds me to concentrate and place my energies on what I'm doing right here and right now and just immerse myself in the moment, not caring about what I've just done, or what I'm going to do afterward.

It is good food when you find yourself actually stopping to pay attention to what you're eating instead of yammering on about other stuff. It is good food when you find yourself nibbling on each piece, hoping to savor the taste just that bit longer and make it last further.

It is good food that in and of itself, surreptitiously, quietly, becomes your sensei, teaching you the philosophy of what it is, who you are, and what you should and can be. That as long as you have this moment, as long as you are wrapped up in this moment- this action of chewing and savoring and tasting the hire- you are living. And in the next moment, in the next bite, you are living all over again.

Living, and living, and living. :)
  
But hey, it's not all philosophical and reflective and contemplative and deep. It's fun too.

Pounding the sesame seeds is fun. I like hearing the crunch crunch sound. :) Testing my chopstick skill as I pick up individual grains of rice is fun. Swirling the chilled lettuce in a sea of salad dressing- roasted sesame dressing, I think- is fun.

And so is trying to pick up each ball of fish roe. Without having it burst on me. :)
 
Pounding away

Graphical Patterns on my Rice