Saturday 18 November 2017

my Old HP Mini white

Oh, hai!
 
I found this in one of the drawers the other day and I'm telling you, I'm still grappling with the fact that this laptop of mine is only six years old. Okay, that might not mean anything to some of us, but let me try put it in my perspective and maybe we just might see it a lil differently.
 
Being all of six years old means that if she were a person, she'd just have graduated from her K2 Kindergarten, performed in the end year concert, snapped her graduation photo, and be getting all excited to go to Primary One next year.
 
That means that if she were a person, she'd be thrilled about books and toys and games and dolls and cartoons and computer games and wanting to watch Shopkins and My Little Pony and Barbie dolls or she might be interested in Star Wars and Marvel's Avengers and DC's Wonder Woman.
 
That means also that if she were a person, she'd be dressed in clothes, shoes and accessories suitable for her age, and if she'd choose toys and games, she'd be ready for those that say '6 and Above'.
 
She wouldn't be clad in age-inappropriate outfits and neither would she be riding bicycles that are too big for her.
 
In other words, if my HP Mini White were personified, she'd be no more than a child, no different from any other kid you see with her parents on the bus, the train, the beach, the park or the shopping mall.
 
A kid.
 
A little girl.
 
But because she is not a person, because she is a piece if electronic gear, my poor HP Mini has reached the age of... frankly I don't know what she has reached the age of, given that she is considered outdated and unless is upgraded, is of no use to anyone whatsoever.
 
How did the world move so quickly in the last six years?
 
When I first received her, this lovely restaurant with the best French onion soup ever (I only know the name of the owner as Tony) was at the second floor of Funan The IT Mall, and I happened to having a meal of soup and duck that day at the very place, and where there was an introductory meal for a group of visitors about to head onto a cruise, which is why I remember it.
 
When I first used her, everyone used electronic gear that was twice her screen size, so much so that strangers thought I was doing something insignificant, like watching Youtube videos and nothing else. Laptops were 13-15"" minimum and anything smaller than that automatically got categorized into either a touchscreen phone, or a big-sized tablet.
 
Surface Pro with the physical keyboard?
 
If it were around, I didn't know about it.  
 
And neither did the countless people who curiously peeked over my shoulder to see what I was doing- as if what I were typing were information free-for-all, which, of course, absolutely was not- and who looked at me surprised when I indicated that I was uncomfortable with their prying eyes.

But the world has evolved since then.

Today we've got corporate people who work on the go attaching keyboards to their tablets, making presentations on it like it is no big deal. We've got insurance and financial representatives and bloggers and influencers armed with tablets and keyboards at Starbucks plugging away.

Today our laptops have lightened and thinned down so much that the weight comparison of this HP Mini to my current Lenovo 100S is differentiated at nearly 1.5 times heavier, and a few inches thinner. 

Today that restaurant with the great French onion soup is no more. The owner closed it down.

And Funan right now is just one really big hole.

Everything moves on, I understand, and whilst I accept that it is for the better, you know, like how my laptop is slimmer and lighter and has longer battery life and has brighter screen resolution, there's a part of me that wishes it wouldn't move on this quickly.

After all, some of us do grow an affection towards our electronic gear, and we wish that it would grant us just that one more chance, that one more memory, that one more reminiscence, just before it shuts down and says her final goodbye. :)