Sunday 26 November 2017

evenings at Tong Ah

They used to be at Keong Saik Road.

They're still at Keong Saik Road.

Just that they've moved further down than where they used to be. Their old place still retains the carved name on its walls, large enough where you can see it from Kreta Ayer Road. Potato Head might be there, but nothing looks like those Chinese characters are going to be erased anytime soon.

Tong Ah
I used to have breakfast at this coffee shop. Kopi, eggs, kaya toast, the works. Then there came a time when I couldn't get there in time for breakfast anymore. Then one day when I did manage to go there, they told me they'd be shifting, "but don't worry! Down the road only! Somewhere in the middle! Very easy to find us one!"

I still haven't been back there for breakfast. -_-

But that doesn't mean they've forgotten who we are.

Hoh, no...

Because me and my dining companion were there not too long ago for dinner and the lady jokingly mentioned that we hadn't come for eggs in quite a long while.

Ummm.. yeahhh.... -_-

Which makes it a good thing that we're likely going to go there for dinner whenever I'm in the area. The atmosphere is interesting. The service is lovely and the food is good.

I don't tend to make beef a first choice when it comes to zi char, but there's just one dish that I'm going straight for when I'm here, and it is the beef fried rice. Tong Ah doesn't just chuck pieces of tender beef together with the rice. They actually fry the rice and the beef in the stock of beef, which makes the rice doubly fragrant, yet surprisingly not as oily as one might expect.

The rice is moist, not dry. There's a distinct roundedness of beef flavor in the rice grains, the beef slices are done just right, and all in all, it's a fantastic portion to share.

Beef Fried Rice
I go for the fish maw soup too.

Where restaurants will have it, I'm pretty sure, here it comes served in a large bowl and ladle that reminds me of a home cooked meal. Not that there's anything lacking though. There's enough texture to make it feel thick enough. There's bits of egg swirling around in the soup as they do with sharks' fins, and then there's the fish maw sliced thick enough that is chewy made just right.

Then there's the prawn omelet.

Fresh, succulent prawns arranged prettily over a light, fluffy, moist omelet which is neither too oily nor too cloying nor dry and where you have the pleasant mix of the sea and the land together on your plate.

Prawn Omelet
It's a pleasant time dining here. They don't rush you to finish your food. They serve your order as fast as they can, which makes it very satisfying for hungry people. And they're very friendly about it.

Plus, their coffee has got to be one of the best I've ever had.

It's fragrant, thick, sweet, rich, caffeine boosting (immediately!) and priced fairly for the regular coffee shop rate of $1.30.