Sunday 26 November 2017

gym with a View

I got curious this afternoon.
 
Curious enough to want to head up a building of what is one example of present-day skyscraper architecture. Short of having plants cascading down their glassy exteriors, they've got, I think, shrubs in the middle of their high-up open space that grants the impression of a suspended garden and which can be seen from far away.

Okay lar, actually I was just looking for the toilet.

Because, see, I was downstairs on the ground floor at Starbucks, which is where I'm usually are if I'm in this building, and then I needed to use the restroom and so I asked and they said I had to go to this place and then go up to the seventh floor.
 
So I went lor.
 
And after that I got curious so I hung about the open space, looking at the plants, the benches, the surrounding buildings close by... and discovered a gym that had such, and such, a view. :)
 
"Neh neh neh neh neh"

I See You
Whew. Wow. Oh. Okay.

So this is what going to a gym Downtown was all about.

Never mind the prestige of being in a premium gym with other PMETs or C-suites (hey, who knows?) like yourself..

You actually got a view like the one above when you were spinning. You actually got to plunge into the nice cool clear waters of the swimming pool and do laps with a view of the Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay and even the sea in the distance, which, frankly, made me realize how much of a plus point having a gym in the Downtown area was.
 
It wasn't just about the matter of convenience, or the fact that you could exercise with your colleagues or that you could squeeze in a quick crossfit during lunch hour. It wasn't just about the fact that you had membership in a gym near the office that you could escape to in the middle of the day before returning back to respond properly to emails. Neither was it the fact that you could integrate it into your corporate lifestyle.
 
It was more like you were near the office, yet you weren't. It's like you were having a different sort of experience in the middle of the workday and separated yourself from your work clothes, your electronic gear, your desk, your inbox, your in tray, your pending tasks, your boss, your annoying colleague, your office pantry, your meetings, your deadlines.
 
It was like you took a vacay from work and got to live a completely different way for all of an hour before heading back to the shirt, the dress, the coat and the tie.
 
Like a staycation, yup, that's exactly it, cos' no way will you ever be soaking yourself in a pool, get to be this near to the office and still get to bask your mind, soul and body surrounded by such an awesome view.