Friday 12 January 2018

the Coastal Punggol ride

You know that ride that I took along the new TMCR to Changi Village? Yup, the ride didn't stop there. No one stops at Changi Village unless you've got a flat or you're too pooped to continue or you're staying at one of the hotels there.

We continued our way, my co rider and I. First up, a drink at the hawker center- more coconut water and a bunch of snacky biscuits to go- and then we were back on our way again. :)
 
Loyang Ave first, then down Loyang Way, of which I'm soooo glad we took this direction cos I avoided the friggin' hill altogether (so happy!!) and then we turned into Pasir Ris. I think it's Pasir Ris Ave 3, and which is this long, long, long road that brings you past Downtown East, past Pasir Ris Central, past all the housing blocks and this huge wide river with lovely bougainvillea growing by the banks and then onto Pasir Ris Farmway.
 
This Farmway area is one of the most intriguing places to me on the island. I don't know why. It just is. You get all the housing estates and the blocks of flats, and even there's the turn into Elias Road and Pasir Ris Park and then suddenly, there's this stretch of road that is smack out of the rural- I mean, there're huts or stables or whatever on your left- and then there're all the puppy farms and then after that you're at Lorong Halus, which connects to the Serangoon Tidal Gates and then you're at Punggol already. :)
 
I sometimes wonder how it was like prior to being done up. But I can't visualize it as well as I'd love to. Maybe this was all Punggol last time. Maybe there wasn't a Pasir Ris until much later. If this were Punggol, then it would be fairly interesting, because there were once holiday bungalows here and there was a sort of private zoo. But I don't know how it looked like, and I don't know how it was in the earlier days.

It's all a neat waterway now.

A waterway that runs along the Serangoon River and which you can still see the outline of trees silhouetted against the night sky.
 
We took the route going towards Seng Kang this time. Right after the bridge, the Lor Halus Bridge, we made a left and just kept going and going, past the dimly lit pavements, past all the families cycling, past all the shared bikes and the electric scooters, past this brightly-lit eating place that is *really* called L'Chaim and which looks like a fantastic bistro to eat at, then down the path until finally we found ourselves at Punggol Park at the Buangkok Drive side. 
 
I didn't know which side I was at first. I thought we'd reached Hougang but a direction made me realize that I was going further into Buangkok instead of Hougang Avenue 10, so back we went, taking the road this time all the way till we found ourselves back on Upper Serangoon Road.

Daffy at Dinner
A straight road it was from there towards the Teochew Porridge place where we finally stopped for dinner. Two kinds of steamed pork, one plate of steamed egg, eggplant, yam roll and porridge... a light, light meal, but so suitable for tired riders, before we got back on our bikes and headed back to the East side.