Thursday 18 January 2018

over at Astons

Having a meal at Astons marks the difference between having Western cuisine at a neighborhood coffee shop and having Western cuisine in a sit-in casual diner, a fact which they have made no bones about, and which is probably the reason why their outlets are popular with millennials, teens and families alike.

There's hardly an outlet that I've not seen a queue. Especially in the evenings. Groups, singles, couples, families with kids, even the elderly, they're waiting for their turn.
 
Thank goodness the wait isn't a very long one. They're pretty fast, they're very friendly, they're gungho, they're lively and they strive to get your requests right at the first serve... even if there have been mix-ups of sides from time to time.
 
Okay, not that it should matter a huge deal, because their sides are quite good, but that time at Cathay Astons, I'd ordered fish and chips and what I really wanted was the pasta salad instead of an extra serving of fries... :)
 
It's been a great experience so far at most of the outlets I've been to, whether at East Coast Road or Bugis+ and even the newly opened one at Singpost. Very streamlined, the process is. You queue, you decide, you make your order, you pay and then they direct you to go sit down. 
 
There's just one thing though.

Now, I study the menu every single time I'm waiting in the queue, and even though I deliberate on my choices, somehow I always end up going for either the teriyaki chicken, the lemon lime chicken or the fish and chips. Just these three! And it's strange, because it isn't that I don't like the other items on the menu.

I do!
 
They've got spaghetti. I like spaghetti both aglio olio and with cream. They've got grilled filet of salmon. I like salmon. They've got lots of steak choices. I like a medium rare steak from time to time. They've even got grilled fish, burgers and wagyu, all of which I don't mind one bit at all.  
 
But somehow, palate preference or whatever, I always end up with my usual... :D

Like this Saturday afternoon at the new Singpost outlet. There I was, in a brand new place in a newly renovated mall, and  after trying to decide between fish & chips and lemon lime chicken, I ordered lemon lime chicken- again. IAnd  didn't even choose new sides. Out of everything that was up for one's choice, I could have chosen the pasta salad or the potato salad or the house salad even, and I could have chosen mashed potato or rice or baked beans or kernel corn, instead I just stuck with my regular sides of Onion Rings and Mac & Cheese! :)