Wednesday 24 January 2018

more thai Gold food

You know how a couple of months back I wrote that much of the time whenever me and my Co Diner had our meals at this little cosy nook of a diner at Sunshine Plaza, we'd always go straight for our favorite orders of pineapple fried rice and chicken omelet?
 
Well, we were there late last month, and this time, we decided we'd take something different. No special reason whatsover, other than the fact that it was rainy season and it was raining that particular day and though it wasn't very windy and chilly, it seemed great weather for something hot and sour like tom yum goong.
 
So we had it.
 
Their tom yum goong, I was told, leans more towards the Chinese style of preparation, which makes it more of a sour than more of a spicy, and that is perfectly fine for someone like me.
 
 
See, I  like my spice. I'm fine with it.
 
But I'm happier when the level of spice doesn't demand too much from my palate, and the tom yum goong here does just that. The spice is mild, so mild that it is like a tap on your tongue and it's gone. There is the sour, which is lovely, cos it really does linger on your tongue and your throat and whets your appetite, and the best part is that there're enough of seafood ingredients inside. We had prawns, fresh succulent, juicy, chewy ones. We had mushrooms that were easy to slurp up with the soup, and we had lots of veggies which complemented the taste and light, slightly oily texture of the soup.

We decided on their BBQ pork as well.

No, it's not bak kwa. Neither is it char siew.

It is a plate of skilfully sliced pork that is either lightly fried or lightly grilled and which is lean enough but has just that little bit of fat on it. I love how homecooked it makes me feel, and how that tiny wee bit of burnt fat makes that little bit of difference. I eat it all.. :)


I love how cosy and intimate this place is, in the sense that we know what to expect and we know what we want. There're few surprises to be sprung here, and which makes it a great place to be when you've got a long day at work, when your brain is muddled up and you're not sure of what you should do, when you're caught up in discussion and planning and casual chit chat, because somehow, whether on a hot afternoon or an early evening, having their iced tea somehow just calms me down and preps me for the meal ahead. :)