Wednesday 17 January 2018

Daffy got Rained In

There are not many rides I've had that begin with a bout of rain, but when one really wants to ride and when the rain doesn't look like it is going to let up, you just heck lar, don't care, and just go.

Which I did.

Last weekend.

Zipped up my parka, threw everything into a double drawstring bag, strapped on my backpack and went off.. :)

Of course, rain also means that you gotta modify, and modify we did. The original plan was to head to MBS via the Marina Barrage and then up towards Vivo before going onto the West Coast Highway and beyond.

So we took it step by step.

First to MBS, cutting through the housing estate of Jalan Batu before turning into the PCN, heading towards the National Stadium, then turning out along the paths of where the Meyer Road condos are, then finally into Marina Barrage itself.

Where, to my surprise, I found people. There were cyclists- some in tank tops and shorts- there were walkers clad in sneakers and sports wear, there were joggers- really hardcore, I thought- and there were the strollers armed with umbrellas, hoodies and wet weather gear. 

We continued our way across the Marina Barrage Bridge, past the place where the otters make their crossings so often they've put up a sign, then MBS itself where we parked and had a breather. :)

We didn't go to Vivo after all.

Instead we decided on Holland V. 

So, off we went, heading past Lau Pa Sat and the SGX Building, then a turn into the road that leads to Hoe Chiang Road before turning out onto Cantonment Road. And then it was more or less straightforward from there. Cantonment, Outram, Kim Seng, Grange, and Holland Road, past the US Embassy, the Australian Embassy, the Dempsey area, the lovely slope down that connects to Farrer Road, then up some more...

It was still raining persistently when we got there.

Didn't let up, I think, nope, not at all.

Not whilst we had our dinner alfresco. Not when we were setting off. Not when we were going uphill along Holland Road past the former KTM Railway route (and which, I can assure you, was soooo soooo chilly cold!!!) Not when we missed the turn into Sixth Avenue. Not when we reversed the route and made our way back down the other side of Holland Road, and certainly not when we were along Sixth Avenue.

Which made the ride down Sixth Avenue a pretty adrenaline one, cos this avenue is really a long, long, long slope down past Ming Teck Park where you speed up, but then it plateaus out, and after that is another slope up that goes past Namly Avenue, and all that rain meant lots of splashes with plenty of good brake control. :)

The rain changed our plans.

Where I still wanted to plough up Upper Bukit Timah, Woodlands Road and beyond, the Co Rider decided otherwise.

So back east we headed. Relatively smooth, thankfully, from Dunearn Road down Newton Circle, Kampong Java and Rochor and Lavender, except for that bit of waiting near Stevens Road because the Co Rider took a wrong turn onto Adam. ;)

Outside SCGS
I learnt something about myself though.

I learnt that the next time I decide to bike in the rain, I really, really, really will have to keep my head covered. Not only my arms and my back, but my head. Especially my head.

Because right now I've got the sniffles and snuffles and a box of tissues by my side, no thanks to having been gey-kiang, and letting my poor head be exposed to chilly headwinds that relentlessly blasted in front, and above me on what was a rainy, 22 degree day.