Thursday 7 July 2022

Hotpot BBQ @ Selegie GRID

A friend told me about this place.

Said that we had been here before. 

That this place used to be at Chinatown on the same row as the Tiong Shian Frog Porridge coffee shop side. 

It took me a while to remember, but I eventually did. 

Their new place, at the corner on the SOTA side behind Isshin Machi, looks more or less the same. 

But the lights have changed. 

And so has the atmosphere. 

We were directed to a table when we arrived. 


The place wasn't crowded- just two other tables who looked like they were finishing up their meal. 

The lady who brought the plates told us this was a hotpot-BBQ mix all in, and we could order the premium meats off the menu. 

So, we did. 

But before that, we chose our soups. 

My friend got the tom yum. I got the tonkotsu. 


What you'll see here is a fraction of all the meats and vegetables we had. 

There's a camaraderie between us when it comes to sharing hotpot meals together. 

My friend's in charge of the meats. 

I'm in charge of the vegetables. 


I don't know exactly how many platters of meats we had, nor which of what exactly it was that we ordered, but it was a huge tray that the lady brought over to our table, and the platters occupied three levels of the standing trolley next to our table. 

There was mutton, there was chicken, there was pork, there was beef. 

I know we took a fair bit of mutton. 

We also took a fair bit of beef. 


Some of the meats were marinated. 

Some were not. 

The unmarinated ones we dunked in the soup. 

The marinated ones we put on the grill. 

At first we thought of grilling the mutton but then realized it might be too heaty so we dropped that idea and dropped it into the soup instead. 

Shall I say that the grilled meats tasted wonderful? 

And that even though they ended up being very shiny from the oils and the marination, they were actually pretty good? 



I liked that the meats were tender. 

I also liked that there were actually lots of other foods which we could have thrown on the grill (but we didnt).

We only added a couple of chicken wings, and several scallops which we took off the self-serve shelf. 


We should have tried to grill the corn, the carrots, the broccoli, the mushrooms, or even some of the stuff I call the hotpot balls. 

Instead we stuck to mostly meats on the grill, and everything else we got went into the soup- the lettuce, the mushrooms and the cheese tofu. (I couldn't resist)



It was a very filling meal. 

One of the most filling meals we'd ever had in a long time.

So full were we that we skipped dinner entirely and went for bottles of sugarless iced green tea.

I'm not sure if we'll do the BBQ again next time. 

Not because it wasn't good. 

I guess my temperament isn't as good with BBQ as it once used to. 

Then again, never say never, we just might.

Or we might just stick to the hotpot and throw all our favorite ingredients in once again.