Saturday 2 July 2022

Colorful Foods from The Phones

There are certain times, regretfully, when I forget to bring Chonkycam. 

At those times I rely on my phone.

From my S8+ to my Note20, I take pictures of the food that I eat. 

Every meal, however simple, however elaborate, has its charm. 

It's just a matter of how you look at it, how you arrange it, and how much you feel an appreciation for it. 




One thing I'm surprised at is just how beautiful these dishes look when they're placed together. 

Maybe it's the plating. 

Maybe it's the garnishing. 

Maybe it's my obsession with symmetry. 

The first picture looks Mediterranean but it's actually a Christmas meal.  

We had it six months ago- at Soup Spoon. 

Here's the thing, however: I can remember where it was we had the meal. (Novena Square) but I don't remember what exactly it was we ordered. One of it certainly had chunks of beef. The other, I think, was Tokyo chicken stew. I'd ordered it because the soup had collagen, and I wanted it. 

The place where I took the second picture is sadly gone.

Wu Shui Men, tucked at the back of Parkway Parade's second floor, had been quiet for a long time. 

Perhaps they didn't advertise themselves enough. 

Perhaps people weren't familiar with their style of Taiwanese cuisine. 

But their chicken chop was crispy, tender, huge and good. 

And their side dishes weren't too bad either. 

I don't know where else I can get a plate of picked cabbages, soft steamed broccoli, braised egg, slice of Taiwan sausage and braised tau kwa all at the same time. 

Maybe they'll reopen some other place else some other day. 

With all the movements going about in F&B these days, it's good to know that some of our favorites continue to remain. 

Like 126 in Geylang along Sims Avenue where I took the third picture. 

What you see there are (some) of the best staples one must have at 126. 

Yes, there is a lot to choose from (their menu is a thick binder, mind) but these are what we normally go for when we're there. 

The cheong funs- theirs is the small small chewy chewy thick thick kind. 

The xiao long baos- they have them already dunked into little spoons of soup for you.

And this other fish maw thing with some sort of handmade ball below it. 

There're other meals I've had which are just as appetizing. 



Like this one where I had a croissant freshly baked by Maison Kayser with scrambled eggs and caramelized bacon left over from a Wild Honey dinner the night before. 

And like this one of stewed brinjal, tau kee, sweet sour pork, steamed egg otah, and steamed pork patty from the Teochew Porridge coffee shop in the middle of Tanjong Katong Road.