Sunday 10 July 2022

Bus Ride Sights: Kovan-Tai Seng

I'm VERY upset with this set of pictures. 

These have to be some of the worst pictures I've ever taken during a bus ride.

Not that Chonkycam has seen that many pictures whilst her owner is on the bus, but these are simply terrible. 

A complete disgrace. 

Not having enough practice doesn't make it any better. 

Maybe I'm supposed to use the video function on the camera instead of taking stills. 

I don't know. 

But since I'm one of those sorts who will just put it out there- crappy looking or no- here these pictures are. 

The bus journey began from somewhere along Hougang Avenue 10. 
 
But the camera only came out on the stretch I call Tampines Road. 

To be honest, I don't know whether this stretch is (still) part of Tampines Road. 

I think it is. 

For the longest time I've referred to this stretch as 'Wing Tai opposite there'- because there used to be a Wing Tai factory on the opposite side- heading towards Defu and Tampines- but has now been converted to a condominium property with a stretch of light around its roof that at night is like a mysterious streak of light suspended in the dark sky.

The homes on this side of the road also have been here for a long time. 

They have long driveways but perhaps the road is noisier than what it used to be and so they have planted trees outside their driveways to help block out some of the traffic noise. 


Here the bus turned left into a street that I also don't know its name. 

It might be Hougang Street 21. 

It might not be.

I refer to this street as the stretch where Xinghua Primary School and Yuying Secondary School is. 

I also refer to this stretch as opposite the bowling alley- which is precisely what the building opposite this three-storeyed house once used to be. 


I don't know if it is still a bowling alley now. 

I doubt so. 

There's also a great Indian-Muslim food place opposite this house- I've come here before- for late night supper- and if my memory serves me well, they do a great nasi pattaya with a heck lot of powerful chili. 

Here I didn't manage to take pictures-- if I didn't they turned out so bad that they've vanished from the album. 

But I took a picture of this junction. 


For good purpose. 

I don't know these flats very well. 

I'm not familiar with them. 

But several years ago we had a customer who lived in one of these blocks here. 

He had swung by our booth at a baby fair, put faith in a Bluetooth-enabled wearable which he gifted to his toddler son, and so we paid a client visit to guide him, and his wife, on the technology, and to test it. 

The customer told my colleague that it was just the three of them, and because he worked long hours as the sole breadwinner, very often it was just his wife and his son who was at home. His son had just reached the age where he could go about on his own, and the father worried that he would just toddle out of the flat when his wife was in the room, or the kitchen. 

So he wanted a piece of gear that would alert his wife's mobile should his little son wander out of the flat on his own. 

It's almost six years now since we paid a visit to the family but these are customers whom you don't forget, and stories which you remember. 

From this junction the bus made a right into Lorong Ah Soo. 

Here I tried taking pictures of significance. 

As you will see, they didn't turn out very well. 

I got one of the blocks along Lorong Ah Soo. 


I dont' know the significance of that block other than it's just behind the bus stop.

Then after that I wanted to get another more significant picture- that of my alma mater- my secondary school. 

Guess what? 

I failed.

I'd thought I'd be able to snap a decent picture of the school building from the bus stop, but no, didn't take place. 

All I managed to get was... this. 


The structure on the left just behind the bus stop is the section above the school canteen (I think), and right in front of that tree is the slope that leads up to the sister primary school. 

After Lorong Ah Soo, the bus turned into Upper Paya Lebar Road. 

By now I was feeling a tad disappointed with how my pictures were turning out, so I simply clicked the button at whatever I thought was interesting. 




Like a row of terrace houses that held zero meaning nor significance to me. 

Like the junction that leads to Bartley Road East and Bartley Road and Braddell Road and Braddell Heights and Lornie Road.

And the Luxasia Building that distributes all the beauty and luxury stuff from their headquarters in the industrial estate of Tai Seng Road.