Wednesday 6 July 2022

ECP and the new Connector

An article in The Straits Times told of a new park connector that had opened along the route somewhere between East Coast Park and Tanah Merah. 

From the pictures it seemed like it was very scenic

So I went. 

I'm not new to the East Coast Park-Tanah Merah- Changi Village park connector route.

I've gone on it with Rose. 

I've also gone on it with Daffy several times before. 

One might think I'd get bored with the view of East Coast Park.

But, surprisingly, no.

One thing about the Earth we live in is that she's constantly in a sphere of change, and even though the trees, the paths, and maybe the shore might look the same, it's not. 

There's always something different. 

On one day it might be the weather. 

On another it might be the number of ships in the horizon. 

Maybe it's the reflection of the clouds on the water. 

Maybe it's the wind. 

Nothing actually ever stays the same- it cannot be reigned in- even if it be man-made, renovated or reclaimed. 




This afternoon I took the route from the Parkway Parade entrance towards Tanah Merah. 

It wasn't long- I'd done it before- and the weather was good- but I guess I hadn't anticipated the kind of crowds at the beach which, of course, led to several starts and stops and careful pedaling. 

That's wasn't so much the surprise. 

The surprise to me was getting to the park connector. 

Because whilst the news had featured wonderfully scenic pictures of the place, and the groups had mentioned the route taken to get there, no one had actually specified exactly where on this entire route it was. 

No one had said that to get to the beautiful part (from East Coast Park) means having to go past the entire length of the Surbana construction site, the living quarters of the workers working on the Surbana project, some very longish route with a lot of trees, and the entrance of Changi Naval Base. 

Pea brained me had thought it was just after the Tanah Merah Canal. 

Needless to say there are no pictures of the route along the way to the park connector (although I did take a very pretty one- of an offshore island- a long time ago) 


Poor confused me today was too pooped to stop and take newer pictures on the route, and it was not until I reached the park connector itself that I got down from Daffy and took a breather. . 

To put it in perspective, this park connector runs lengthwise behind the Changi Aerospace building lot (yeah, that ulu one that's seldom used and is most popularly known for holding the Air Show every year).



But it's peaceful. 

It's very peaceful. 


I was surprised. 

I'd thought it would be very much like Changi Beach Park (which is close by and is on the quiet, serene side) but, no, this connector felt a little bit different. 

I don't think it had anything to do with the island opposite. 




More likely it had something to do with the history, the air, the atmosphere.