Tuesday 19 July 2022

Eggs Suki-ya Style

We started dining at this place not too long ago. 

It's not a new place- it's been around for some time- but they're one of those places that don't do a lot of marketing nor advertising, and so it's either you know about it, or don't know about it at all. 

I'd seen this place before. 

I just didn't think of having a meal there. 

But then came one day in Suntec City we decided to look about for new places around dinner time. 

And this place came up. 

What used to deter me before was perhaps the queue. 

I have very little love for meal-time queues. 

But then again the idea of having eggs with rice seemed quite an intriguing meal to have (that day) and so we queued.

At first I didn't know what to expect. 

But my perspective changed right after the bowl came to my table and I took my first bite. 

Suki-ya, with their small square tables and neat-looking chairs, seems to give off a casual-diner vibe, but they don't scrimp on service. 

There're staff to bring you cups of warm hojicha once you're seated, they bring you your orders on a tray, and they clear them when you're done. 

It's all very friendly, efficient, and quick. 

The thing that charms me most is how they've turned simplicity into something so heartwarming, satisfying, and sincere. 

It doesn't seem much- soft boiled eggs with slices of beef or chicken karaage- but the sauce, the flavors, and the egg actually work well with each other, and you don't feel like you're having an nondescript meal at all.



I've found myself appreciating the way all these flavors come together. 

What makes it fun is that there're many different ways to enjoy the meal. 

Some diners break the egg straight into the bowl on top of the meat and te rice and all. 

Others, like my friend, break the egg into the small bowl (which they provide), then beat it with the chopsticks before dipping the beef from the gyudon shabu-shabu style inside. 

Me, I break the egg into the bowl, but then I don't beat it up. 

Instead I scoop out parts of the white bit by bit- to eat it with the rice- and then I dip my karaage into the yolk. 

Yes, it's a little more troublesome, but I like it this way.

I've since come to realize that rice with yolk and white actually do taste really good, and that meat goes better with egg yolk than with egg white. 

It's amazing; I didn't know that prior. 

That's the charm of eating here at Suki-ya, I guess. 

You get creative, you slow down, you try different ways to enjoy your meal, you try different meals. 

I've not really tried all of their dishes (even though some do look rather interesting)

My usual one thus far is the chicken karaage. 

Maybe one day I'll kick in my spicy tongue and go for the mapo eggplant. 

And one day for sure I'm going to order that earl grey tea drink with pudding. 

I want the pudding. :D