Wednesday 27 July 2022

At Expo with Daffy

Changi Expo is not one of the destinations that I often go with Daffy/. 

In fact I think I haven't even been there before with her at all. 

But today we didn't feel like going to the Marina Bay Sands side, we didn't feel like going to the Jurassic Mile-Changi Airport side, and we'd already been to Changi Village on the TMCR not very long before. 

So I thought we might head via Bedok (along the MRT route) up towards Expo. 


Truth was, I'd done it before, but that was two years ago, at night, and I'd gone along the Simpang Bedok route instead. 

Today I wanted to see how the route was actually like. 

Before heading onto Changi Road (at Bedok), however, we made a pit stop at Siglap- for lunch. 

Yes, McDonalds. 

With Coke and fries. 


From Siglap we went along Upper East Coast Road- because I was not going to climb the road that makes up both Siglap Road and Siglap Hill, and no way was I going to do the other horrendous hill at New Upper Changi Road near Chai Chee and Decathlon. 

So on the easier route of Upper East Coast Road we went. 

I've always found this route somewhat more interesting than its counterpart, honestly. 

The road's wider, there're fewer cars and it feels more spacious overall. 

It's how I imagine a coastal road is supposed to feel. 

The structures here are more fascinating too.

Of course, they're mostly condos these days but there're some heritage-looking ones. 

Like the building that currently houses the famous Hua Yu Wee Seafood restaurant. 

I wish I'd stopped to take a picture. 

But I was on the opposite side of the road, so I simply continued on. 

Into Bedok South Avenue 3 we turned- my riding companion and I- and from there it was more or less a straight route down Changi Road towards Xilin Avenue. 

A part of me hoped that I'd be able to stop and take pictures, but of course, what with the traffic on Changi Road, that didn't happen.

Not even when I cycled past the huge canal/river that separates the estate of residential Bedok from the industrialized Bedok North Ave 4 side. 

Somewhere around here (after Bedok Road), the road ceased to be New Upper Changi, but became Upper Changi Road East instead. 

Expo wasn't very far from here.

Further up past Xilin Avenue and we turned into Expo Drive- with its cars, car parks and all. 

To be honest I'd no idea what we were going to do here at Singapore Expo. 

So it was a delight when we found a couple of exhibitions that were open to the general public. 

We went to a food fair where we jostled with trolley-pulling ladies, sampled a milk made from yellow beans, sampled a nice chewy sesame/ginger sweet plopped out from a home-business type of machine, and marveled at the bowls of orn nees, laksa, oyster mee suas and mango salads offered at the variety of stalls. 

But we didn't stay for the food (even though I think we ought to have).

Instead we crossed over to Changi City Point where we had a light dinner, including Jollibee chicken, and then hung about near Timbre watching as little kids drove go-karts with their parent around a nice little circuit. 

We didn't stay long over at Changi Expo, and after a couple of hours, whilst still in broad daylight, took the same route back to East Coast Road.