Wednesday 20 July 2022

Changi Village Hawker Center

It's been announced quite recently that Changi Village Hawker Center will be undergoing renovations for three months, starting August all the way to October.

Whilst this probably won't put a dampener on those of us who frequent the hawker center whenever we are there, it does make one wonder what else is available, and if there'll be enough space for us all. 

Make no mistake- Changi Village- whilst still retaining her strong rustic charm- is no longer the ulu out-of-town destination from earlier years. 

She's become lively, robust, and spirited, with a camaraderie amongst all those who visit her. 

There're those of us who come here for the first time (because we've heard so much about it), and there're those of us who come here every week because cycling on the TMCR- or the Pasir Ris-Loyang route is our weekly routine. 

I'm somewhere in between.

That is to say that I'm open to (new) foods even though I have my regular habits there.

One of the things we always get whenever we bike here are the coconuts.

You cannot not have fresh coconut water after a 20km ride from East Coast Park to here. 


We usually have one each- my friend and I- it's a bit difficult to share this hydrating beverage after all the pedaling.

Amongst some of our favorite dishes at the hawker center are the nasi lemak (I don't have a picture), the char kuay teow, the mutton soup and the chicken wings. 




I'd love to say that we also love the satay, the goreng pisang and the orh luak but apparently we can only choose between the chicken wings or the satay, goreng pisang and char kuay teow together in one meal would be too overwhelming, and the orh luak had a bit too much flour for my friend's liking. 

I'm gonna miss these dishes in the three months that the hawker won't be there.

But I'll make do. 

Just like everyone else will. 

After all my favorite chendol is still there. 

So what I'll do is to go across for nasi goreng, kuay teow goreng or murtabak, then bounce back for this amazing bowl of $1.70 chendol which is sold from this particular shop across the hawker center on this side of the road.