Saturday 23 April 2022

Thai Food @ MacKenzie

So I have a friend who is excellent at finding new dining places. 

This is the type of friend with whom new eats will never be a boring affair- because you never know what it is you're going to get.

Sometimes there are hits. 

Sometimes there are misses. 

One never knows. 

I'm the sort who tends to get grumpy whenever there're misses. (I like familiarity) 

My friend, however, usually shrugs it off and takes it in stride. 

Our differences thus make it a bit of a tiptoe when new places come up on the list. 

But I've learnt to be more adventurous, more patient, give things a go, and give (more) chance. 

So even though at first I hopped around a bit when told there might be a thirty minute wait at this place along (quiet) Mackenzie Road, I decided it meant that the food was good. 

And it really was.

The charm of this place isn't merely the food. 

Its' also the decor.

Because whilst it doesn't look like much when you're waiting on the dark five foot way outside, the back, however, is a wide, spacious alfresco complete with comfortable tables, comfortable seats, light Thai ballad music, and pretty fairy lights.

It seemed almost magical. 

I wish I'd taken a picture of the furniture, the decor and the fairy lights. 

But there were people at other tables, there were people walking to and fro, and i didn't have the right gear. 

Also, I was hungry, hangry, and just wanted to eat. 

So all the pictures I have are of our food.

We ordered some sort of pork crackling.

It came in a little packet. 

Which we finished in five minutes.

It was a bit of a wait for the rest of our food, but I'll say it worth the wait because their tom kha and oyster omelet were really, really good?



I was the judge of the tom kha. 

My friend was the judge of the oyster omelet. 

Reason being that I'm a fan of tom kha- it's one of my favorite soups when it comes to Thai cuisine- and this one here was thick, creamy, containing lots and lots of chicken, lots and lots of vegetables, and was amazingly smooth on the tongue. 

It didn't taste as light (or clear) like how some places do it. 

It didn't feel heavy on the stomach either. 

The balance between the cream and the soup was good. 

I was told- by my friend the orh luak lover- that their oyster omelet was just as lovely too. 

The egg was fluffy, clean on the palate (with hardly any aftertaste of oil) and was filled with plenty of oysters all medium sized.

Despite the wait, dinner here was altogether a very fun, relaxed, and satisfactory meal. 

I loved the food. 

I loved the ambience. 

And I expect to be back again.

Hopefully, soon. :)