Tuesday 19 April 2022

Tamago En

This is a place for egg lovers. 

If you're someone who likes eggs, and who likes eggs with a passion, Tamago-En is the place for you. 

I don't think there's any dish here that doesn't have an ingredient of egg inside. 

Even the soup dish Oyako Dashi Maki Udon comes served with a large piece of delicious, sweet tamagoyaki sitting prettily above the heap of noodles right on top. 

I had it once-  and can i say that besides the lovely, sweet tamagoyaki, the clear bonito broth, and the grated daikon made this udon dish one of the cleanest, lightest ones I've ever had thus far?

Eggs are headliners amongst the cast of ingredients in their dishes here, and they do them really well. 

One time we had the Beef Steak Omurice  sizzling hot plate style. 


Another time we had the Salmon Steak Mentaiko Cream Omurice also a sizzling hot plate style.

Both times it was the egg covering the mountain of Japanese rice that caught my eye. 

Smooth, fluffy, slightly runny and soft, the texture reminded me of a scrambled egg more than the typical omelets of omurice that envelope the grains inside.

This egg was so unique we ended up eating it by itself, leaving the rice on the plate very much alone. 

It was different, however, when eating the dish they call the Ultimate Tamago Kake Gohan. 


This dish calls for you to eat up the rice. 

Because the egg yolk here is raw.

I don't know if there's a right way to eat this, but the best, I think, is to start with the ethereal, cloud-like whipped egg white, then let the raw yolk flow all over the warm, fluffy rice, which you then have both together- in one mouthful- sprinkled with the condiments they provide.

There're many dishes of choice here at Tamago En.

Like the Salmon Avocado Tamago Kake Gohan. 

Like the Dashimaki Tamago Skewers. 

And the Prawn Mentaiko Pasta.

But there're some that particularly appeal to my (very casual) eating habits and my preferred way of style. 

One of the dishes that I fell in love with was the Chicken Katsu and Egg Don. 


It's wholesome. 

It's heartwarming.

And it's something I always hope to have when I'm there.

Maybe it's the size of the katsu. 

Or the texture of the breaded batter.

It could be that the meat is thick, chonky, and satisfying. 

Or it could be that they arrange the cutlet in such a way that it sits snugly within a mixture of delicious egg, giving you a bite that is at once warm, crispy, chewy, soft and melt-in-the-mouth.

They're very generous with the egg for this dish, by the way. 

It doesn't just sit beneath the big piece of katsu. 

It covers the entire top of the rice bowl. 

But dont' come to Tamago En only for the mains. 

Make room for the desserts too.

Its' a charming variety they have here- strawberry tofu cheesecake, black sesame panna cotta, homemade egg pudding, souffle pancake, and parfaits. 

The pancakes are a popular choice. 

Fluffy, boing boing bouncy, and easy to eat with just a single fork, you have a choice of berry souffle, mango souffle, white peach souffle, grape souggle, and even creme brulee souffle. 

I shared the berry souffle with a friend when we ate at the Suntec City outlet late last year. 


My friend took a liking to the maple syrup.

I took a liking to the generous heap of fresh cream. 

But it was the picture of strawberry tofu cheesecake in the menu that enthralled me.


So I had a whole piece to myself for lunch at Chinese New Year Eve this year.