Tuesday 12 April 2022

Bus Ride Sights: MacKenzie-Thomson

We decided we'd pay a visit to this place we call The Koi Pond one Saturday morning, so from somewhere along Little India, we hopped Bus 980.

Bus 980 is one of those long haul routes that begins somewhere near the old Kallang Airport, goes towards Beach Road, turns into Middle Road (I think) then Bugis, Rochor Road, the place opposite Tekka Market and Race Course Road, then Kampong Java, Thomson Road, and Upper Thomson Road. 

The camera came out the moment I got a seat. 

And the very first picture I took was of the field between this road (I dont' know its name) and MacKenzie Road. 




I managed to grab a couple of pictures of the  scenery along the route (even though honestly I don't know what this building with pillars painted orange was). 

From here the bus turned into Kampong Java, coming up upon Kandang Kerbau Hospital. 

I must say I've never quite seen our children's hospital in such an angle nor such a perspective. 

It reminded me of another place, another time.



I've never seen Goldhill Plaza from this angle nor from this side of the road either. 

From this bus stop outside the mall on the Goldhill Plaza side, the bus trundled along, first passing by the place of the tax collector people on the left, and Novena Square next to Courtyard by Marriott on the right. 

After this the bus went past charming little houses of a quiet residential estate, then the Thomson Medical Center, then the exit which I think leads to Whitley Road, and Catholic Junior College.

Somewhere in between I caught sight of these structures- I dont' know what they are- but I've seen them at construction sites and I assume they're for the North-South route which has been ongoing for some time and which looks to be finished soon. 



After this came the area close to the Old Police Academy and the Singapore Polo Club. 

I wish I'd taken more pictures of the Old Police Academy. 

Come a couple of years, this place will be gone. 

I dont' know what will be left. 

Maybe one day all I'll have to look back about this place is the picture of a huge grassy field- with a couple of coconut trees here and there. 


That was all I managed to take.

And no, I didn't manage to see any horses trotting about the enclosure either.

I had better success with plant nurseries at the foot of Caldecott HIll near Andrews Road. 



These nurseries have been here for what I think must be a fairly long while.

Their tents look like permanent fixtures, they're comfortably set in their space, and for the longest time I've seen them around. 

Of course, they looked a little quiet today. 

But maybe it was off peak season. 

They get their busiest during festive occasions, Christmas, National Day, and Chinese New Year.

A little bit further from here the bus turned right into Thomson Road past the official and (most well known) entrance of MacRitchie Reservoir.


It is at this junction that the first stretch of Thomson Road ends, becomes a curve, and continues along the part of the country we call the Central Catchment. 

You don't feel it that much when you're on the bus, but the route takes you past Upper Peirce Reservoir, Lower Peirce Reservoir, Windsor Nature Park, Thomson Nature Park and Upper Seletar Reservoir. 

That route begins here- at the point where the (old) roads of north-south and east-west technically meet. 

See, it is here that Thomson Road and Upper Thomson Road connect you from the south (near Kallang) to the north (Nee Soon and Sembawang). 

It is also here that from the east- Tampines- you get to Bartley East Road, Braddell Road, Braddell Heights and then into Lornie Road, Farrer Road, Queensway (Buona Vista/Pasir Panjang) and Upper Bukit Timah Road (Bukit Batok, Choa Chu Kang, Jurong)

I unfortunately didn't take many pictures after the bus made its turn. 

Except maybe of the Home, and the housing board flats nearby.



But I'll try take some more next time.