Monday 26 February 2018

pyeongchang 2018

The country I'm in doesn't have much of a winter sport category. Being right on the equator means that the focus, and the money, is channelled towards more regular sports- sports that do not require the presence of freezing conditions, ice, or snow. And so because we didn't have a contingent worthy enough of national pride, it also meant that it was not broadcast live on national TV, and anyone interested in Pyeongchang 2018 would have to make do with a sports summary only at the end of the day. 
 
Still I suppose I should be thankful that we had something. 
 
They could have b***dy ignored broadcasting it entirely altogether. 
 
But with the nightly summary, I managed to catch a glimpse of what the Winter Olympics was like,. I didn't get to watch the ice skating part, unfortunate that, but I got to watch a bit of skiing and I got to know that Bobsledding is an Olympic sport, and that there's such a game known as Curling.  
 
The Curling game was quite fun to watch. When I turned on the TV, the German, Swedish, Korean and Japanese female teams were battling it out and so it was rather fascinating to see a bunch of ladies yelling at each other whilst doing something that made them look like they were frantically scrubbing the ice. with brooms. 

And I don't think the Scandinavians ever got interviewed as much as in this Olympics compared to the regular one. I sat through the interviews= because athletes and athletic fashion interests me- and there was always someone from either Norway, Sweden, Germany, The Netherlands, USA, Canada, Russia or Japan. Different teams from the Japanese contingent were interviewed twice. Same for the Norwegians. I saw one interview with the South Korean team and there was one interview with the Russian team.

I've missed out on many of the events, really very unfortunate that. -_- I didn't even manage to catch the closing ceremony which was held yesterday. Pyeongchang 2018 has ended, but I think this Winter Olympics will be remembered for some time. After all, it has been, in one way or another, a highly anticipated one, perhaps more for its political and diplomatic significance than the actual fact of sport itself, but hey, that's what the Olympics is for. Is it not? :)