Saturday 26 May 2018

see the Cute in LinkedIn

Now, don't judge, but one of the things that used to deter me from using the LinkedIn app on my phone was the font.

Yes, you got it right, the FONT.

See, I'm one of those peeps who will not be satisfied with whatever the font is on my phone or my laptop and so will go about hunting for new fonts to download and apply just so that everything on the screen looks easy on my eyes and goes straight to my heart. 

That's what I did with my Samsung.

And so it was very jarring on my eyes, and on my heart, when most of my apps utilized my cute-looking Korean font on the system, and LinkedIn didn't. It was very odd to switch between, say, Facebook or Instagram or WhatsApp with the cute rounded font, only to be slapped with the corporate, formal, we-mean-business font of the LinkedIn.

Sure, one might argue that LinkedIn is for professional use, and the platform is really all about connecting professionals for work purposes and industry purposes and so it should be so in the messages and blogs and so on.

I don't argue with that.

LinkedIn is really uber fantastic for everything professional. The algorithms link you up with a whole bunch of people from your industry and from industries you're related to, and they're all first level, second level, depending on how it goes. What fascinates me is that there're just so many people out there doing great work and keeping the world moving in one way or another.

This is a platform for work and corporate related stuff, absolutely, make no question about that, but this is my LinkedIn account, this is my LinkedIn profile, and this is my phone. 

And if I want to see all my words look cute on my phone, never mind whichever app it be, why can not that be so?

Again, and this is an oft quoted refrain, that the choice of font is reflective of who you are, and, like an outfit, forms a person's perspective of you, so thereby, since LinkedIn is a professional platform to connect (only) professional peoples in well recognized industries, we should carry ourselves properly in a business-like, professional manner and cultivate the image that is office-appropriate.

But this is MY phone.

This is MY personal, self-bought phone.

And no one else but ME is going to be looking at my LinkedIn Home and Messages and Profile on the app that is sitting in MY own phone.

So, let's say that if I want something childlike and cutesy that's not in the phone system, or if I go the opposite direction and want something classic and cursive that's also not in the phone system, and if I want to see alllll my apps in that font, why can it not be so?

Of course, you'll notice that I'm saying all this in the past tense.

Because it IS in the past tense.

Three, no, four days ago I logged on to LinkedIn from my phone, and to my greatest delight, the Home, the Messages and the Notifications are now readable in the phone's system super cute font, and yes, the Professional in me has now been cuti-fied. :D :D :D :D