Thursday 24 May 2018

briefing near the Mango Tree

Their decision is still pending, so I won't be saying anything about this briefing that I attended a couple of weeks ago.

Let's just say that it was held on the campus of a reputed, top-five junior college, and let's just say that it has been twenty years, more or less, since I sat in an MOE-type classroom, armed with papers and pen, listening attentively to a person speaking up there.

Twenty years!

Yes, that's how young I am!

There're some things about college life you don't forget. There're some parts of your college grounds that you don't forget either. I don't think I'll ever erase the memory of the school hall, the classrooms, the field, the canteen and the AVA Room of Jurong Institute.

I'm pretty sure the students at this college won't be forgetting this tree anytime either.

Not when there're such huge juicy mangoes dangling from the branches all ready and ripe for plucking.

A couple of curious questions I got though.

What happens to the mangoes?

Do they get sold in the canteen? Do the canteen vendors make dishes out of mangoes for the students? Who plucks them? The staff, the students or the school gardener? And if they're not sold in the canteen, do the staff get to bring them home? Or if they're not allowed to be brought home but only meant for in-school usage, then are they actually eaten or are they exclusively designated for academic purposes... :)