Monday 19 March 2018

a Bus Dodging ride

To be honest, I had it in the head to go all the way to Jurong East and Jalan Bahar and then Lim Chu Kang, but by the time I hit the road, it was already nearing 7pm, and I was feeling a little bit lazy. :P
 
Yeah, it's possible to be lazy.
 
Why not?
 
The spirit of riding is not contained in the distance that you do- unless you're into this category of bike riding. The spirit of riding is inherent; it is in your soul, it is how you feel when you ride, it is where you want to go and it is not restricted by which route you want to take.
 
Which means that if you so happen to be feeling bummer that day, so be it. Just get on the seat and go and see where the bike will take you.
 
Daffy took me to dinner first. :) We decided on nasi briyani at this shop along Geylang Lorong 1. I don't know the name, but I think it's quite a famous one. Teh O Air Limau accompanied the rice and the mutton.
 
We decided to go to Vivo after that, so down we headed from Merdeka Bridge, then turned into Crawford and into Beach Road. Straight all the way until we hit the Raffles Hotel junction and then it got a bit crazy because when one gets on the wrong lane, there is no other way but to go with the flow, and if you are like I was that evening that decided to go against the flow, well, hop off.
 
So I hopped off, crossed the road on foot, crossed the road again and found myself in the War Memorial Park.
 
And I had two choices. Either cycle down then up again, or dash across the road with bike in tow to the Queen Elizabeth Walk- you know, the road that separates the Queen Elizabeth Walk from the Padang? I chose the latter. :) Lazy lar, I told you...
 
Anderson Bridge came up after where the route is right outside Fullerton Bridge. It was relatively easy down Shenton Way after that. Shenton Way is a great place to cycle on weekends. It's practically deserted save for the buses turning into the interchange, and the cars going on the highway and Keppel.
 
Very smooth thereafter, until I was nearing Vivo, because somehow, don't know how, there will be this ONE car who will try to cut into the next lane, and then because there're lots of cars, this one car will be braked right in front of you just when you're puffing up, and then you have to siam the poor hapless car trying to edge its way to the next lane.
 
We stopped at Vivo for awhile, had some orange juice, then made a snap decision that instead of going all the way up to Jurong East, we'd be better off taking a turn at the Mapletree Business City and then chug down Bukit Merah, so we did just that. Went on to Telok Blangah down West Coast Highway then turned into Alexandra Road.
 
A bit of hill there, but never mind, it is the Southern Ridges and Hort Park after all. We turned into Bukit Merah, then down ,down, down all the way to Chinatown, then onto Victoria Street then back east.
 
I'm glad it was a smooth ride. Also a very enjoyable one, especially with my brand new playlist of Thai and Viet pop playing pretty loudly. :) They're really happy songs for bike rides, very uplifting, and make me bop my head when I'm freewheeling down the road squeezing my way between cars.
 
Oh, and the only time I speeded up super fast was when I was trying to beat the stream of buses all signaling right when leaving the bus bays. :D