Sunday 17 May 2020

Strolling Sights: the 'hood of Geylang East









The choice was between the library of Geylang East, and the library of Marine Parade. Either way would have been the same, except that I knew the location of one, and I didn't know the location of the other. So- in the spirit of urban exploration- I decided to go to the one I didn't know.

The map indicated that the library wasn't very far away from where I was (within walking distance) so I grabbed the books I had to return, tossed them into my backpack and off I went.

From where I was I made my way to Paya Lebar Quarter, stopping first to get an egg mayonnaise bun from the bakery downstairs, then walked ahead to the Learning Institute before crossing the main road to where the map said the library was.
 
A quiet, interesting estate I found- with its own swimming pool- tucked right behind a couple of JTC flatted factories. Along the way there was a Hindu temple, and close by it, a monastery which- I've been told- is the Foo Hai Chien Monastery. 

The estate itself didn't seem like a large one- I dont' think it had its own bus interchange and it looked like there was no large shopping mall but there were rows of little shops, there were coffee shops, there was a school, a polyclinic, a major supermarket and of course, the library.

I did what I wanted to do (No, actually, I did more than what I intended to do- three new books on loan were in my backpack when I marched out) and because it was getting late, decided it were time to make my way back to Paya Lebar Square.

Which I did, following the beautifully curved path that lay beneath the MRT tracks above my head, relishing in the song of the chirping birds, the clear evening sky of dusk, and the surprising sense of peaceful serenity that seemed to entirely envelope me.