Sunday 13 November 2022

Wine @ Hollandse Club

I like to observe. 

Rather, I (sometimes) like to hide in one corner and observe. 

Doesn't matter where I am- that's what I do if it is in a place where I'm not required to be 200% present.

I don't get this privilege all the time.

So I'm (secretly) (guiltily) glad when I can. 

Not too long ago I invited myself (literally) to a networking event at Hollandse Club. 

It was one of those events that said you'd be able to meet new people, network with people, and interact with them. 

Yep, it turned out to be exactly just that. 

It took me a while to be sure of the exact location. 

Because, like a typical heartlander, I had no idea that Camden Hill Restaurant & Bar was in fact the name of the restaurant and bar inside Hollandse Club.

But it was lovely when I did find it. 

And lovelier still when I realized that many of the attendees (having registered under other criteria) were actually already there, at the tables, finishing off their dinner.

It was probably one of the most packed networking events that I'd ever been to. 

I don't think Iv'e ever been to such a tightly cloistered event in a very long while.  

It was one of those things where everyone stood clustered in groups of three or four all around each other, and all talking at the same time.

I (quietly) wondered  how they managed to hear each other. 

But... that's just me. 

Everyone else was doing just fine. 

Many of them seemed to know each other. 

Perhaps they were from the fintech and/or the finance industry. 

There were those who conversed in French. 

But there were many more conversing in English.

I listened to someone talk about his platform and how it worked with Coinhako. 

Then I listened to another talk about the Swiss-based company he was representing, for which was in the midst of setting up office here on our island and where he (if I'm not wrong) was working the ground. 

It didn't sound like he was finding it easy. 

It also didn't sound like he had been here a long time. 

Later I found out that there were many first time, and one time visitors at this event 

Many of them had flown in specifically to attend the Fintech festival over at Singapore Expo-and they were (really)  just dropping in for wine, finger sandwiches, spring rolls and  fried cheese sticks here.. 

I didn't stay to hear more from the guy representing the Swiss-based company. 

I went to get a glass of sparkling water. 

The open-air space- something like a verandah we see in the artworks of 19th century Far East-  overlooking the tennis courts- was seriously getting filled up by then. 

I parked myself by a pillar, glass in hand.

And I spoke to someone. 

You know how they say that in a foreign land Asians (and Singaporeans) will tend to gravitate towards each other?

That's probably what happened. 

In a sea of expatriates, and foreign visitors alike, we somehow came face to face, and greeted each other. 

She was wonderful- this lady- and I enjoyed our short, swet conversation (huddled next to the pillar) very much. 

Perhaps one day she might have clients who'll need our expertise. 

And perhaps one day we'll have need for her company's services. 

I'm afraid I didn't speak very much to others after that. 

There was this one person who introduced to me- and my colleague- what it was his company was doing. 

If I'm not wrong, it was a mobile app that let individuals see real-time scene footage of their surroundings, buildings, roads, city infrastructure and the like. I'm not really sure who his target customers were- we didn't get to this point- but it sounded interesting, especially if you were the lost tourist type poor with directions, tpp embarrassed to ask, and needed a visual boost in the form of real-time images featuring the buildings nearby. 

One thing I remember about this visitor was just how passionate he was. 

Every time he talked, every time he tapped on his phone to show us how his platform worked, he took a step closer to us.

Step. "Do you know that the images of the buildings in (insert city) on (insert map platform) are fifteen years old?"  

Step. "Ah, no this is from (insert city) in the north part of Germany" (where the Volkswagon factories are, and where they order a humongous quantity of sausages to feed their workers, he excitedly said)

After the third time I shifted position and started pushing back. 

But by then his elevator pitch had finished, and was talking about the vibe of our little island country which he'd experienced over 10 days. 

You get to see all sorts of people at these events. 

There're those who turn up in collared shirts and business jackets.  

There're those who turn up in shorts, polo shirts and baseball caps.

Then there're those who have been known for their involvement in crypto and whom probably have a planned purpose to be there. 

They didn't approach me. 

I didn't approach them either.

But one thing I do know. 

Not everyone's there for a specific, or even a business-reaated purpose, though. 

Because there was someone I chatted whom didn't take my offered name card and told me straight out he wasn't here to gather any.