Monday 21 November 2022

Burger King @ KINEX

I got rather excited when I found out that a Burger King would be opening at this mall right next to Haig Road Food Center and Geylang Serai. 

Not because there isn't any fast food in the mall- there once used to be a Long John's Silver, and there's still a KFC- but because this particular front-facing unit has changed hands three times and the last two tenants didn't look like they had a very good fit with the regular walk-ins.  

The first one had (at least) a couple of years.

The second was much more short lived. 

KINEX is a mall that's got an interesting tenant mix. 

Over the years they've tried to sell up on a bit of the fun, and I guess that's why I was super glad when they added these guys to the mix.

One thing about fast food is that it's really, really, all about the fun.

I can't think of any (American-style) fast food that's super serious. 

It's always hyper. 

It's always uppity. 

And it works. 

Doesn't matter what sort of person you are, doesn't matter what kind of diet you have, doesn't even matter what sort of day you have had- the burgers, the fries, the nuggets, the fried chicken, the whipped potato, the soda- everything simply just take over. 

Me, I like fast food better when I'm in a happy mood. 

So I'm glad for this gorgeous city view and relaxed atmosphere that this newly renovated Burger King over at KINEX has.

The aircon's cold, they've got spacious seating, some sort of afternoon sun, and (surprisingly) very comfortable chairs.

I can see myself huddled up at a corner working through my burger and fries with a book in hand. 

I can also see myself eating slowly an ice cream sundae or a Hershey's dessert pie whilst looking out the glass to the blocks opposite.

You know, it was always my habit to order a Mushroom Swiss meal at Burger King. 

But I had something different today.

Because I wasn't alone.

So me and my companion decided we'd go for variety, and ordered on our tray an Angus burger, a box of chicken nuggets, medium fries, and the drink. 


Then we split the burger into half- one taking the top, the other taking the bottom- and chomped our way through the fries and the nuggets which we cheerfully dipped into ketchup, chili sauce, and a dark colored BBQ.