Wednesday 2 November 2022

Mee Sua @ Chin Chin

I don't know if I've ever written anything about this.

Maybe I have.

I can't quite remember. 

However, I do eat at Chin Chin quite often. 

It's my go-to place whenever I'm in town and want an affordable, reasonably-priced zichar meal. 

Their eating house at Purvis Road (on the Beach Road side) promises an experience that is safe, simple, and secure. 

They're pretty consistent.

You know what to expect when you dine there. 

At Chin Chin, I don't have to worry that the food I get will be of one standard today and another standard the next. 

It's like, if I'm paying $5.50 for a plate of sam lor hor fun, I know I'm going to get a plate of wide-length hor fun topped with lots of bean sprouts, lots of sliced fish, vegetables, and a big scoop of gravy. 

Likewise with the fried mee sua. 

Or the soup based one. 


I started to order their mee sua dishes only about a couple of months ago. 

And I know exactly why. 

There aren't many zichar places that offer mee sua as a noodle dish, much less in two varieties both of equal standard, both equally good. 

I think the first time I ordered the mee sua dry happened to be a day when I wanted something fried, yet not too fried, and so filtered out the char kuay teow, the fried noodles, the fried rice, and even my (regular order of) beef hor fun dry. 

I wasn't disappointed. 

Not only was the mee sua cleanly dry (I didn't feel the oil), I got a huge heap of mee sua with slices of fish cake, vegetables, some meat, and a couple of prawns tossed about inside. 

I liked the taste. 

I liked the texture.

And I liked how warm the dish made me feel. 

Perhaps I might have continued to order the mee sua dry every time I came there. 

But then on one cool, grey day at Chin Chin whilst going to my table, this bowl of soup mee sua on a fellow patron's table happened to catch my eye. 

So I had it for lunch that day.

And because I fell deeply in love with the clear, tasty soup, I've begun to order this every single time.