Sunday 27 November 2022

Bus Ride Sights: Kallang-Mountbatten

There're days in my life where I just hop onto a bus without knowing the exact route, and then figure it out from there.

I knew 14 went to Bedok.

I didn't know which road it was taking to get there. 

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I found out it was going via Mountbatten Road instead of Sims Avenue, as I'd originally thought it would be. 

Grocery plans had to change, of course, but what with me already being on the bus, I decided it a good time as any to whip out the camera and start taking pictures. 

I'm familiar with Kallang Road that goes along the East-West line to Kallang MRT. 

But I'm not always on this side of the bus, let alone a double decker one, so it was nice to see the bright self-storage building on the other side of the MRT line. 

There was, of course, the MRT station so close to my window. 


And then the top of the bus stop which I'm sometimes at when I'm changing bus from the Moulmein/Balestier area. 

It's a non-descript bus stop, no different from many of the ordinary ones all over the island, but behind this bus stop is a 24 hour NTUC, which is  pretty convenient especially if you're on your way after having taken the MRT and are boarding your bus from here. 

I dropped by here for a carton of organic fresh milk once. 

Today the bus made a turn towards the stop that is (technically) opposite the Sports Hub- National Stadium area, then continued on towards Mountbatten Road, passing by the junction of Geylang Lorong 6 and Sims Way before that. 

I took a picture of the junction that leads both into KPE and into the Geylang area but is effectively Sims Avenue.  


Because the traffic is always heavy here,  and I wanted to mention the senior citizens'  home that sits on the frontier facing the old Kallang Airport zone, the KPE entrance and the Sims Way junction on the other side. 

I also took a picture of this building.

For no special reason- other than the fact that Daun Pandan Rice Dumpling is here and I sometimes wonder if this is where they originally used to be- before branching out to their many outlets islandwide. 

It's interesting that Mountbatten Road begins right after the junction of Sims Way and Guillemard Road.

Like, somewhere around here.



I  tend to think of it only when Goodman Arts Center comes into view. 


Apparently not. 

But I'm only starting to get used to this area and- not having been to this area much- except for once when we had a meeting- I've never entered the place that once used to be La Salle. 

It still retains most of its features, I hear, which is a great thing, seeing how there's some history to this place and there're people who remember the building as it is, and how their classrooms once used to be. 

The residential area of Mountbatten Road follows up right next. 

After the Katong swimming complex, that is. 

You know, I was so surprised when told that- seemingly in the middle of nowhere- was a public swimming pool. 

I hadn't known. 

I'd thought it belonged to a private club or something. 

The bus trundled along the charming little houses and the modern bungalows all along the road. 

I wanted to take pictures- but there were dogs in the yard, there were cars in the driveway- and I didn't feel comfortable taking pictures of people's gardens. 


The Seng Hoe Hotel is a different story. 

It's still going strong- this one- Covid or no Covid- and I've always wondered about its story and its presence here in an area close to where other hotels used to be. 

Why has the Amber Hotel not remained? 

Why has the other hotel- I  don't remember its name- been demolished?

And why has this remained? 

I've never really had the time to look into their story, but maybe I should.

Just for the sake of knowing it.

It's no secret that Katong Park used to be a fort. 

Neither is it a secret that the holiday homes of several prominent businessmen used to be close by.    

The East Coast area is not one without heritage or significnance. 

Maybe we might not feel it so much now, but I think, it's still there, and if the view from a bus ride makes us think about it, well, why not see what's there?