Monday 11 February 2019

Yotel's Yodel

 
 



 
This months-old hotel can be said to be having one of the most unusual addresses along the stretch we call Orchard Road. It is not a property that sits on the front (like Mandarin Orchard or Marriott Tang Plaza) neither is it a property that sits on the back (like Four Seasons and Hotel Jen Orchard Gateway) 

Instead, it is a property right smack in the middle of one section of Orchard Road, and is tightly fitted between the location of International Building, the compound of the Royal Thai Embassy, and Shaw Lido.

Now, at other times, I would not have paid much attention to this hotel- after all, there are others that I can choose from- but the description of her futuristic, space-age vibe, and the description of her rooms, certainly caught my eye.


To say that I checked in here just to stay in her rooms would not be a lie, because, how often is it that a brand-new hotel brand builds her property up from scratch, and then gives all of her rooms some sort of a luxurious airplane cabin vibe? 

Truth be told, that's not from the Yotel side- they never really specified- but that was the impression I got, and would you not agree with me that it is usually a  luxury cruise cabin, or a luxury airplane cabin that needs such an unusual bed to be fitted into the space of such and such a size?

Just as how capsule beds and sleeping pods have been fitted for luxury airliners, it would not be beyond me to have a similar thought otherwise.

What makes it fascinating is that the stars of their rooms are truly these beds, and if I were to say that I didn't check in here to experience their dream mechanisms, well, that would also make it a lie.

I guess I wanted to feel for myself what it would be like to sit on a piece of furniture that, with the push of a button, would extend from a sofa to become a bed, and with the push of another button, bend up back from a bed into a sofa.


It was pretty interesting- I really didn't have to leave the bed at all- and so let's just say that for most of the afternoon, despite the presence of a glorious Orchard Road view, and despite the presence of everything there was by my side, what took place was an irresponsibly fun time of messing up the bed linens, tossing the cushions and absorbing the room's functional,  industrial-chic, space-age vibe.