Tuesday 19 February 2019

pretty foods: Soup Dumplings

 
If there is one breakfast food that sparks me joy, it would be this little bowl of soup dumpling noodles that I have from the stall at this corner coffee shop along Joo Chiat Road.

It is a simple food, yes, it is a local, commonplace food, yes, but disdain not the joy that this bowl can bring.

Soup dumpling noodles are perfect for the mornings when you've woken up late, when it is brunch by the time you've reached the coffee shop, or when you want to have something heavier than toast and eggs but don't want anything fried.

They are a food that sits somewhere between a heavy breakfast and light, they have the necessary nutrients of protein, (light) carbs and vitamins, and tell me, can there anything more soulful for a late morning meal than a bowl of tasty, clear soup?

It is a good thing I am particular about my dumplings.

No, make it that I am more than particular- I am exacting.

So I am super glad that this stall called Fatty's-something does her soup dumplings the way I like- with a whole lot of meat, little crunchy chives, a nice, tasty soup, and none of that heavy pork smell in between.