Wednesday 13 February 2019

M Social Singapore








Coming here to M Social on a weekend was a very good reminder that although Life doesn't always give you the best of Views, it isn't as important what they are as what you actually make out of them.

It would have been lovely to be allocated a loft room on one of the higher floors like what I'd seen in the pictures, but getting a lower one, looking out to landscaped plants, a huge swimming pool and people's balconies wasn't so bad either. 
 
It made me feel kind of close to the ground, there were green leaves right outside my window, and the room looked super cool in the way that we can call metallic cool.

With her high vaulted ceiling, shuttered windows, smooth cement floor, grey walls and metallic, chrome-shiny fittings, she felt modern, industrial, and masculine, yet also sensitive, contemplative, serene, and cocooning.


It was interesting how M Social managed to squeeze in all the necessary amenities whilst making it look so effortless and so natural as if they were designed to be there.

At another place it would be unthinkable to have the wash basin right next to the work table less than an arm's length away from the foot of the bed, but here, it felt not that way.

The wash basin felt like it belonged there.

The television felt right being mounted on the wall above the desk.

And the open wardrobe, supplied with slippers, hangers and bathrobes right by the door, didn't feel like it shouldn't have been there.

Everything slid into place so naturally, so much so that it didn't feel awkward working at the desk knowing that my toothbrush and mug were less than a half arm's length away from my chair.

It was a good weekend.

I spent the afternoon finishing up some stuff, helped along by coffee drunk out of a hipster-looking enamel mug, until I decided it was time I not stick myself in this room and better go out, so off I went, for a stroll, along the upper stretch of the Singapore River near Kim Seng Walk.

I kept walking, not very sure actually, of where I was going, but I finally found my way and turned towards Great World City where Ichiban in the basement became my dinner stop.

Of course the night didn't end there- it would be a waste to go sleep so early if you are at Robertson Quay- so I huddled in the room, spending precious social time with a bag of cheese rings, the television, the rain shower and Dramabeans. 

Now, one thing about M Social is that it is not in the most central of places. What that means is that you don't have access to popular retail shops on hand, there is no McDonalds in the vicinity, and wanting a local breakfast of eggs, kaya butter and toast will be quite a bit of a fair walk away.

Which is where I would suggest to anyone that you include breakfast in your stay. I can't tell you how glad I was that next morning all I needed to do for breakfast was to go to the café downstairs where they had coffee, cereal, fruits, yogurt, sausage, fried mee, thin sliced toast for butter kaya, and a robotic omelette making machine.