Friday 8 February 2019

a Porterhouse at Ruth's Chris

 
 


 
I don't profess to be a very steak sort of person.
 
It isn't because I am vegan, vegetarian, or that I am an advocate for the cow. It is simply that between the choices of salmon, pork, chicken, or beef, I tend to look at everything else before I look at the beef. 

Over here at Ruth's Chris in Marina Mandarin, however, I look at nothing else, and I look nowhere.
 
For what else is there to look at when their USDA Prime beef is broiled in the oven at 1800 degrees, topped with butter, and then served to you on plates heated to 500 degrees?

The decision here to make is not what I should eat, but what size of steak I should eat. 
It is a thought worthy of consideration, for here at Ruth's Chris they have something called a Porterhouse- a humongous chunk of cow that is large enough to feed a table of three, or a table of two. 

 

Everything depends on the appetite of the day.
 
I would have wanted it for this dinner which was to celebrate a birthday. But on the menu there was also the blue crab cake. And because it came highly recommended, we decided to forgo the two hundred grams of steak, go for the regular sized eighty grams. and make an additional order of the blue crab cake.

It was a great decision.

But first, bread, and a round ball of unsalted butter.

One of the best things about having a bread basket on the table is that it makes for a great conversation starter. Everyone has an opinion about bread. It can be about different dining cultures of East versus West. It can be about the various types of carbohydrates, the difference between white bread and brown, just how much bread should a person eat per day, and even a discussion on whether butter should be slathered on thick, or thin..

The blue crab cake came- a nice little shape of crab served atop two stems of asparagus and a bit of sauce.

And then along came the steak, which was as memorable a palate experience as it should be. Warm, buttery, tender and soft, full with the juices of the beef, each slice off my knife was like a comforting hooga embrace of taste and texture.

It was unfortunate that we had to skip dessert.

But I say, do leave room for a cake or pie- Ruth's Chris does a wonderful dessert demonstration here where they bring the entire tray of full sized desserts to your table and show you one by one what each is and what it consists of.

But we were filled, and so instead of the all-American apple pie which I wanted but I think I shall have to wait till the next time, we settled for the little surprise birthday cake of moist butter sponge, huge sultanas and a candle.