Friday 6 April 2018

pineapple Tarts


 
 
 

You know you have something special when you don't plan out your Lunar New Year goodies and yet, you somehow end up with three different kinds of pineapple tarts by the time the first day of the festivities rolls in.

I love pineapple tarts, and it doesn't matter very much to me whether they're made from butter, margarine or whether they've got more pineapple filling or less.

Here's what I had this year.
1. Butter-margarine tarts with pineapple filling
2. Butter balls with pineapple jam filling
3. Butter tarts with pineapple filling 

One was bought from Sheng Siong, one was bought from the cookies stall at Chinatown and one was from the confectionary near the Hong Lim Food Center behind Chinatown Point.
 
Do I have a favorite? Nope. But the butter balls with pineapple jam filling did give me a particular sense of nostalgia. One bite of the balls brought me back to the time when The Parents happily brought home a big bag of pineapple jam biscuits that they'd bought from one of the shops downstairs. 


 
They were a bit different from the other two, yes, but I quite liked them, nostalgia is always a good thing, and nothing is better than having a nice, salty buttery ball enveloping a bit of memory and a whole lot of familiarity.