Monday 24 July 2017

the Raya bazaar

 
2017 Lights @ Geylang Serai
The Raya bazaar macam officially hipster nowadays.
 
Because of the 2016 pasar malam lar, that's why.
 
Last time come down, buy, eat, take one photo for memory's sake, okay, can already. Now? All these Millennials and Gen Xs and Xennials come down, see and buy and eat not enough, they must go and Facebook, Instagram, Blog everything they see and eat. And then after they do that, more Millennials, Gen Xs and Xennials come down. And then they also go and Facebook, Instagram and Blog everything they see and eat... so last year's bazaar was crowds lar.

This year the organizers decided they also want the same.

So they made this year's bazaar absolutely hipster.
 
It really did feel that way.
 
I got that vibe, helped no less, of course, by the posts and blogs on social media. But whether hipster or not, I was just going to be there. Because I'm simply someone who thinks that any opportunity to have a fun time is a good one. It doesn't matter whether you go with a bunch of friends and family or by yourself. The atmosphere will make you part of the community... or at least the food will.

This year I had the beef nachos, which was these cute little strips of beef topped with lots of nacho cheese. I had the coconut ice cream, which was three scoops of ice cream served in a coconut shell with carved coconut flesh sitting on top. I had the goreng pisang, very oily but hey, fried banana! I had Thai iced tea. I had the Dutch baby pancakes because the pancakes looked soooo cute and they had salted egg sauce and I like salted egg. And I had a cup of soft shell crab together with a couple of breaded oysters on a stick.
 
The crowds were there. Oh, absolutely... and I hear it got super heavy on the eve of the eve of Hari Raya. :)

I walked both sides this year.

On the Haig Food Center side, there were the locals and foreign visitors thronging around and standing around with cups and plastic bags, munching sticks of snacks and dangling  Styrofoam boxes of dinner from their hands. This was the side with the rainbow colored bagels and the fried ice cream balls and the huge fried squid and the dragon breath balls and the coconut ice cream and the soft serve ice cream and the chendol soft serve for $5. This was the side with the Ramly Burger and the dendeng and the kebab right in the middle of everything and fresh frozen slushies and jagung milk and canned drinks and bandung and bags and shoes. This was also the side for goreng pisang and goreng tapioca and otah and goreng sweet potato and mee hoon goreng and kuay teow goreng, and the unicorn drinks..

On the other side were the stalls offering jewelry and henna art and plastic flowers and bottled kurma milk and mango juice and fruit sodas from Indonesia and bags and headscarves and non-alcoholic perfume. This was the side with the chocolate waffles and the shoe stalls and the bedsheet-blanket stall and the huge Persian carpets and more kebab stalls and this really funky drink of three colors, and further back there were the stalls of beef nachos and Dutch baby pancakes and baju kurung and right in the center, second hand cars that you could pay and drive off rightaway.  
 
But there were stalls I missed, and stalls that I couldn't find.

I missed the stall that offered samples of Raya cookies. Last year they were right outside the mall and I remember they had some very lovely sugee cookies. :P

And I couldn't find the shop selling dates either. I wanted to sample these really big, juicy dates from Iran. :)