Wednesday 5 July 2017

lessons from a Sofa

the new theory sofa
 
It's amazing the number of lessons a single sofa can teach you.
 
No, I'm not referring to a couch where you sit and listen and interact and take notes and learn from someone. I'm not referring to conversations with so-and-so that take place in a casual space where there's coffee and small bites. I'm not referring to that genre of gathering.
 
I'm referring to lessons that you gain through self-analysis as a result of sitting on the sofa. I'm referring to lessons you learn from circumstances that got you to that sofa in the very first place. I'm referring to hard-knock life lessons that make you re-look and re-analyze everything that you thought you held as gold.
 
Because survival is real s***. When you're trying to survive, when you're getting through each day by the hour, when you've got no fall-back, no safety net, no security- despite your best efforts because s*** happens, you'll throw those d*** theories out and just do what you do. Some of us give up on principles. That happens too.
 
My principles were my anchor in those days, both spiritual, emotional and mental. I'm thankful for that.
 
What changed though, were the theories that have been said to help facilitate the way we live our lives. Mind, these were established theories that many have internalized as anchors themselves, and to disrupt them would be unthinkable.
 
That's fine.
 
We shall then have to agree to disagree.
 
Because those theories did s*** for me, and had I adopted them wholly, I wouldn't be here writing this after thirteen months. I'd have spiraled away into an abyss and emerged stronger no doubt, but harder, crueler, more confused, more cynical, more sadistic... and less of a person altogether.