Monday 31 July 2017

a Bangkok snooze

People go to Bangkok for many, many reasons. Some go there to pray. Others go there to stopover before heading elsewhere. Some pass through the capital before heading to other parts of the country. And most, of course, go there to shop, and shop, and shop.
 
Me?
 
I go there to snooze.
 
Okay, not literally.
 
It's not like I made a deliberate trip to Krungthep just to check into a hotel room and hide under the covers and sleep and sleep and sleep, but yeah, I think that's pretty much what i did in the several days that I was there.
 
It's been a couple of years now, but if I remember it correctly, what I did there can be summed up as: Sleep, eat junk food, sleep, walk a bit, binge-watch drama episodes on viki.com and then sleep some more. :)

Not that I stayed under the covers all day.

I went down for breakfast buffet style and ate lots of kuay teow and scrambled eggs and papaya and honeydew and mango and watermelon and drank cups and cups of coffee. 

I went to the pool and tried getting myself a suntan.
 
There were the Thai massages that ached the heck out of me and are far from the relaxing Swedish techniques, but are very stretchy for the body and excellently good for the muscles.
 
There were also the strolls to the nearby Big C supermarket for Mama creamy shrimp tom yum instant noodles and bags of Twisties and Lay's potato chips and bottles of Coke.
 
There was the meal at A&W for fried chicken wings and waffles and root beer float which was an absolute thing to do since A&W disappeared themselves out of Singapore and we are all nostalgic like that.
 
for waffles and root beer floats
There was, of course, the Thai iced tea, which I bought more than once, and which I fell in love with again and again and again afterward.
 
thai iced tea
And yes, there was the short, easy walk to the Erawan Shrine, where I found myself more fascinated by the flower garland vendor doing her nails in black nail polish.

But I really did sleep a lot in those couple of days.
 
Sometimes you've just got to get away from the environment that you're in and go away to sleep and sleep. Sometimes you've just got to take that bit of courage and leave the space you're attached to and experiment spacing out your brain in a different room, a different place, a different world, a different culture.
 
one of the lobbies
 
and the snooze space
It's surprising what one realizes when that's done. 
 
It's even more surprising what one takes back after that's done. 
 
Me? 
 
I took back a little bit of a history lesson between Singapore, Israel and Thailand. I also took back a little bit of real-life FMCG lessons. And I took back a whole new lot of perspective about entertainment, distribution channels, character building, character structure, casting, cultural export and how engaging content can be.

Which, heh, had absolutely nothing to do with all the snoozing and sleeping at all. :)