Sunday 9 July 2023

Waters off Marina Barrage

These pictures of Marina Barrage exist because it was one of those days where we wanted to go for a bike ride but didn't want to go on the road, nor did we want to go far.

It is a blessing to be a stone's throw away from East Coast Park, especially now when the park has extended beyond 12km long and stretches from (almost) Changi Airport Terminal 4 to MBFC on the other side. 

I don't usually tend to go the entire stretch- it's either MBFC or the airport for me- and likewise today too we decided we'd head westwards towards the MBFC area as well.

It's not a difficult ride- rather scenic in fact- and you just go along your way along the PCN until you come to the (traditional) end of East Coast Park that most of us call the Fort Road Exit. 

A bridge leads pedestrians and cyclists up and across, and after a couple of turns you find yourself on one side of the yet-to-be-developed Marina Bay side. 

It's a quiet spot, this area, and most cyclists tend not to stop there.

Instead, onwards we go, passing our way through rows of trees and shrubs on either side. 

Along the waters one comes to next, beginning from the spot under Benjamin Sheares Bridge and then all along until one gets to the Marina Barrage Bridge. 

The view from the top of this bridge is charming by day and by night, but it is the view that comes after the bridge that appeals to me. 




Maybe because the breakwater reminds me of (another) favorite place near Siloso Beach on Sentosa Island. 

Maybe because there's something hopeful about seeing the ships all anchored out there in the horizon whilst the Coast Guard Patrol and the smaller boats slice their way through.

I've come to this spot three times now. 

The first time I came was over a year ago when on a solo bike ride I decided to turn my way left instead of right as I normally do. 

After that there was another time where I brought a friend to whom this place I introduced to him for the very first time. 

Both times were very bright, very hot, and very sunny days. 

Unlike this third time that I was here. 

I shan't say that the day was cloudy and gloomy- I actually prefer cool, grey days to hot, grey cloud-cover ones. 

But I didn't quite see what I wanted to see.

And I didn't quite feel what I wanted to feel.

Maybe I wasn't ready.

Or maybe the time wasn't yet come. 

I don't know. 

I know I felt a little disappointed leaving the place somewhat empty handed and devoid inside. 

But I might have been looking in the wrong place.

And, like I've said, I might have been there at the wrong time.

Honestly I don't know if I'll ever get any answers, but I trust I will. 

After all, as they say, no matter how much time has passed, it's always wise to have a tilt of one's head, along with a small, quiet smile.