Saturday 1 July 2023

Salmon @ Aburi-En

I had this just today.

And I think I am going to have it as often as I can. 

No doubt Aburi-En is more known for their grilled meats- they make no bones about it- it's all over their menu and in their promotional videos- but it's lovely to have an alternative of salmon sashimi atop a bowl of rice as well. 

Salmon sashimi has always been a particular favorite of mine, and there was a time in my life when at buffets I could down two (small) plates of them at one go. 

It's more moderate these days, thank God, but I love a nice, cold slice of salmon sashimi whenever I can, and better yet when it comes served with rice, along with a wedge of tamago. 

I don't know when it was that we started having salmon don here at Aburi-En, but we've grown to like it, especially during lunch time where it comes as a set meal complete with salad, soup, appetizer and dessert. 

Let's just say it's a much lighter meal compared to some of their other offerings, which, although are just as good, can sometimes be heavy on the tummy when you're not very hungry. 

Not saying that their meat donburis aren't good- they've got a solid enough feel, that's what it is, and I do love it when I'm able to share. 

But there are days where I don't feel like sharing my meal, and that's where this comes in. 

This is a bowl that I want to have all to myself, whether it be ala carte or as a lunch set. 

The portion's just right for me. 

It isn't always the case that I want to have a meal all to myself though.

There're times when it's a celebratory meal.

Like this day at Aburi En in Shaw Lido where, in celebration of a birthday, my friend and I decided that we would share. 

So we did, 

I was glad to share the salad, and the roasted sesame dressing.

I was also glad to share the miso soup and the jelly dessert that came with the smooth, cold slices of salmon sashimi.

And we had a plate of grilled chicken pieces served on a hotplate, nicely charred, with some sort of yuzu-drenched paste at the side. 


Plus a portion of beef tartare whose lightly fried batter covered seaweed we thoroughly enjoyed.