Friday 21 July 2023

The Little Blue Pot

Y'all know I've been talking about our Little Black Grill (during weekend breathers) from time to time. 

That, however, hasn't been the only new cook gear that we've bought. 

We've actually got this thing I call the Little Blue Pot too. 

I can't say for sure whether or not I prefer Little Black Grill over Little Blue Pot or vice versa- they each have their own strengths- but I've found the shape of Little Black Grill to be more compact, hence easier to pack into an overnight bag. 

Not to mean that I don't like Little Blue Pot.

Of course not. 

I love her. 

Especially since I've been wanting something like that for a long, long time. 

It's a strange thing in life when you have a gas stove in the kitchen but you're too lazy to stand over one. 

It's also a strange thing in life when you have a microwave and an oven but the foods that you usually prefer to prepare for yourself require not a microwave nor an oven but a rice cooker which you absolutely do not have. 

Couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought of getting these little cooking stuff for my usage.

But then the trend came along and now it makes a heck lot of sense to have these little gear in place, and which I can easily use. 

I've described how convenient the Little Black Grill is. 

The Little Blue Pot is no different. 

Especially since I've got a few packets of paus and siew mais sitting deep inside the freezer and which I've always wanted to make for a casual dinner. 

There was a time when I would boil the siew mais in water (not the wisest thing to do, I tell you, because they absorb all the water and make you doubly full)

And there was a time when I tried this hack of putting a pau over a cup of water in the microwave for 10 minutes to steam it up. 

As much as both methods worked, what better way to have it now, than.. this?

Several weeks ago I happened to have two leftover paus and one leftover glutinous rice dumpling in the fridge, and because I didn't want to waste food, out came the last packet of siew mais from the freezer, and of course, from the cupboard, Little Blue Pot as well.

She was so easy to set up.

All I had to do was to plug her into the socket, pour water into her pot base, and place her little tray on top.

It didn't take long to cook- probably 20 minutes thereabouts? 

And everything was steamed just right by the time I turned off the pot and put the tray on a plate. 

I've made my paus and my siew mais. 

So the next thing I want to make with Little Blue Pot would be ramen. 

I'd like to let it cook in the pot longer, and above the water in the little tray I think I'd like to have a couple of sotong balls, and maybe- just maybe- even a siew mai or two.