Tuesday 11 July 2023

Tanuki Raw @ JEWEL

So, few are the places where I can say I'm glad to have nothing else but salmon sashimi, and salmon sashimi alone, for dinner. 

But come to a place like Tanuki Raw during your birthday month (where they've got this great birthday promo) and, chances are, you'll change your mind. 

It's a chance, I say, because there's just that little possibility that all these slices of ice-cold, thick, fresh sashimi might not be enough to fill you up, and you want to order more. 

That's what happened to us when we went to their outlet in JEWEL couple of months ago.

Our plan was to have- as per the birthday promotion- only a bottle of wine, and an order of salmon sashimi but after settling down at a table, we were shown the menu, and there, amongst the variety of dishes there were, we saw- in the Sharing Plates- a Mentaiko Fries. 

So I and The Hedgehog decided we'd have that. 

To be honest, looking at the menu, I wouldn't have minded some of their other Sharing Plates like the Spicy Roasted Drumsticks, the Jewel Hiro Chicken or the Assorted Tempura. They might not be very unusual but they sounded quite fun to eat. 

I wouldn't have minded the donburi, or the sandwiches either.

Especially since for the donburi they had quite an interesting variety, like the Jewel Truffle Gyu, the Truffle Beef and Sashimi Don, the Jewel Chirashi, the Cod Katsu Don, Wasabi Karaage Chicken and the Seared Yuzu Salmon Don. 

The Seared Yuzu Salmon Don sounded nice. 

I like salmon, and I like yuzu. 

Perhaps another time I might come for their sandwiches. 

It was a little hard to not order the Snow Crab and Avocado Sandwich (the crab), the Pastrami Melt (pastrami and cheese, why not) and the Jalapeno Ranch Fried Chicken Sandwich (I like buttermilk). 

But today we were happy with our glasses of sweet Prosecco wine, our huge dish of beautifully arranged fresh, very cold, and very thick salmon sashimi, and our not-very-small plate of Mentaiko Fries.