Thursday 15 December 2022

Bus Ride Sights: Braddell to Bendeemer

The pictures from this particular bus ride that I took down Upper Serangoon Road to Bendeemer somehow didn't turn out looking very good.

I don't know why.

Maybe my mood wasn't there.

Maybe the light wasn't right.

Or maybe I just didn't adjust my lens the way I should have. 

Pictures like these I call them documentation shots- not very aesthetic but nevertheless necessary anyway.




There was a picture of the ERP gantry at the underpass exit. 

There also was a picture of the overhead bridge that connects to the bus stop on the other side.

It's not very significant- both pictures- but we have to consider that they don't make overhead bridges of this design anymore, and the entrance of the underpass stretches far back near the former Sennett Estate just after Potong Pasir. 

I wish I knew what the name of this little area was.

But I don't.

I don't know the name of this place.

I don't' even know how it's commonly referred to, or what it's commonly called.

All I know is that it comes right after the roundabout in the middle of Potong Pasir, Toa Payoh, Kallang Bahru and Bendeemer Road.

And that this curved block of flats has been there for a very long time.

They didn't use to be this color, however, I think. 

Somewhere along the way Town Council came along and changed the entire color.

I really ought to be more observant of my surroundings than I usually tend to be. 

But that's just me. 

Sometimes I'm familiar.

Sometimes I'm not. 

It doesn't matter how long or how frequent I've gone up and down the route. 

There're times I notice things, and there're times I don't. 

Like how I can recognize these blocks of flats because they come right after the Braddell junction and the Woodleigh area, but I may not recognize which part under the Upper Serangoon Flyover these carefully planted shrubs are.


It's peculiar what the mind tends to remember. 

But it's easier when they've got a connection to you, when there's a story attached to them, and when they stand out against the background. 

It's impossible for anyone born and bred in this country to not know the tale of Potong Pasir. 

And it doesn't matter if the place has been renovated, enhanced, or changed. 

You still recognize it somewhat the same. 

Maybe one day I'll do a little walk around the housing estate. 


But before that there're other (similarly) fascinating estates that I'll love to drop by. 

Like this place near the well known Upper Boon Keng Market and Hawker Center with stalls offering delicious, hearty local food, and is a sort of heartland nestled within the outskirts of the city.