Friday 2 December 2022

Jln Benaan Kepal

You know, looking at these pictures here, I really have to wonder how it is that I've never been to this place before.

Yes, admittedly there are places (still) in this country that I haven't yet gone- like the nature walks at Bukit Timah or the (not so new) Rainforest Walk at Botanic Gardens- but Jalan Benaan Kapal isn't far from where I usually am, and it genuinely intrigues me just how I'm only hearing of this place now- in 2022- when it's obvious that they've been there for pretty long.

How did they manage to stay under the radar, I wonder.

Could it be that I just happen to be not very familiar with the area? 

Or that I haven't explored it enough to notice this gem of a little hawker center sitting right in the middle?

Very little has been said about this hawker center, but she's got an intimate sense of charm, and better yet, her own share of fans, who know the best time to come. 

Unfortunately I don't- and most of the stalls weren't open by the time I got there.

I wonder what it's like having a meal here in the early morning. 

Will it feel quiet?

Will it feel exclusive? 

Will it return one back to the days of years past?

You know, there's something very timeless about this entire stretch of road that makes up Jalan Benaan Kapal.

I don't know what it is.

Maybe it's the presence of the old buildings. 

Maybe it's the space.

It might be the location of the hawker center (between the road the shops)

Or the fact that once upon a time people lived, worked, and made their homes here.

It's amazing how a single row of shops can ring in so many thoughts.




Even though in many places- Tanglin Halt, Eunos, Toa Payoh- there're usually more than just one. 

One might think that with it being just a single row in a relatively unknown estate it would be run down and ignored. 

But, no, despite the shops being quiet, the place was beautifully painted and the upstairs shutters open well. 

I guess Jalan Benaan Kapal is the sort of place where people will see, but, unless you're really in the area itself- like the sports fraternity- will somehow end up passing by.

Come to think of it, this stretch isn't the easiest to get to either. 

I, for one, had no idea where to start.

Google Maps told me that it was behind the area where Kallang McDonalds and Decathlon stand. 

So I began from somewhere close to Nicoll Highway near the old Kallang Airport. 


From there I crossed Stadium Boulevard, crossed the entire car park of Decathlon and found the sign that brought me to the right road, where I was first greeted by a large grey building that reminded me of a power station.

Following that were these buildings that I couldn't quite make out what they used to be. 

They might have been electrical engineering companies, they might have been waterway-maintenance companies, they might even have been shipping-small craft companies or even hardware stores. 


But I didn't hang around long.

They looked like they were busily occupied. 

So after going to the row of shops and wondering whether I should step into the (quiet) hawker center, I decided otherwise and went across the drain to the bridge over the Geylang River.

It's amazing what your world around shows you despite you not quite seeing it that way. 




At another time I might not have noticed the ruggedness of the concrete bridge. 

I might not even have noticed the beauty of the waters or the bougainvillea plants along the bridge.

But today- coupled with the view of Marina at the far distance edge- I did- and it was quietly romantic, naturally slow, and surprisingly peaceful.