Friday 16 December 2022

This Little Cafe By Changi Road

Yours Sincerely Bakery sits on the ground floor of a public housing block near Eunos MRT somewhere along Changi Road.

It's one of those places slightly off the beaten path that you probably won't just 'drop in for brunch or coffee' but will have to make a special trip there.

I know I will. 

Because this cafe is one of those places that look like they've been specially designed for an introvert to sit quietly with a cuppa, a cake, a journal and a book, hidden from the world. 

Not that her interiors are boring.

On the contrary, they've got some interesting signature pieces for customers to see.

The first thing that caught my eye were the red flowers draped oh so casually around the shelf that I thought reminded me of a fireplace. 

Then there were the pink roses surrounding the archway (to the kitchen) that I thought reminded me of an arbor in a rose garden.

It was all very quaint, I tell you.

Very much an escape away from the cold concrete and grey cement just outside their glass windows and doors. 

Of course, it's no use having great decor if the food's no good.

That's not how it is here.

The food at Yours Sincerely Bakery is good. 

Besides attractive all-day breakfasts, they've got croissants, waffles, cakes, pastas, salads and unique flavors of ice cream.

We've had one of their breakfasts. 

Or brunch- depending on how you see it.

Here's the thing though: I don't remember the name, but this is what it was, and this is how full the plate was when the wait staff brought it out from the kitchen to our table. 

There were eggs, salad, mushrooms, tater tots, a slice of thick toast, and strips of bacon carefully arranged on top.

It wasn't just the size of the plate that heartened me.

It was the way they'd prepared the meal.

Like the toast, which, whilst was thick, came hot and crisp yet not hard and dry.

Like the mushrooms which had been enhanced with a bit of charred taste to them.

And like the bacon, which at first bite was crisp and salted just nice, and which didn't go soggy even after a while.

I took special fancy to the scrambled eggs.

And I found myself continually reaching for the mushrooms after realizing they actually had a rather nice chew.

I'm pretty sure I'll come back to this quaint neighborhood cafe sometime really soon.

When, exactly, I don't know, but they've got rather interesting croissants, and I want to try.

I'd also like to go for their appetizers too. 

Maybe it's not so appealing to some (like, how does an appetizer a meal make) but let me tell you, they're delicious, and just so good. 

I want to order back this buttery, soft, smooth mashed potato. 

I also want to order back whatever this dish was that we ordered the previous time.


But I want to save room for dessert. 

You must- there's a lot to be had.

Like this richly flavored, richly textured chocolate brownie that we'd ordered, and I wish we'd eaten with one of their ice creams. 

And like this waffle, which- with it being dessert weekend- we spent time choosing between the flavors of rum and raisin, Thai milk tea, salted caramel gula melaka something, and eventually settled on a single scoop of ice cream ondeh ondeh.