Sunday 21 August 2022

Southern Fried Chicken @ Yardbird

Those who know me will know that I'm not very much a stickler for etiquette or protocol. 

Doesn't mean that I disregard it or won't adhere to it. 

It just means that I try to get away with it whenever I can. 

There are places in this world where the dish determines that you use a particular length of chopsticks, or a particular set of knife and fork.

However there're also places in this world where you can- with a bit of a fun-loving spirit- eschew the nice, shiny cutlery and eat the dish whichever way you want, even (gasp!) using your hands. 

The Lewellyn's Southern Fried Chicken at Yardbird Southern Table and Bar is one. 

This is a dish that- despite the decor of the place, and the Shoppes in which it sits in- will make you want to drop the niceties of restaurant dining, and just whack the perfectly deep fried chicken with your hands. 


Liberty to do so, of course, depends on the company with whom you dine.

I'm thankful for the liberty that was granted this particular afternoon. 

Because that's what I did- straightaway- when our order of bacon, Chicken N' Watermelon N' Waffles got to our table. 



It's an understatement to say that I was delighted. 

Especially since the chicken didn't come served on the plate in the same way other places would have done. 

No, it came in a little wire basket, twisted to form the shape of a chubby, chonky poultry bird. 


It was quite a humorous, charming sight. 

What made it the star, of course, was the chicken inside. 

Brined for 27 hours, the chicken is coated with a batter made from a 100 year old secret family recipe before being perfectly deep fried. 

Now, I'm not known to be a very clean chicken eater- I usually leave bits of meat hanging from the ends of the bone- but the meat here at Yardbird's fell so easily off the bone that I ate it all clean, none of the moist, tender, juicy, slightly smoky meat left behind. 

Separate mention must be made of the chicken skin. 

This whole chicken might have been dunked into a fryer, but guess what, the skin wasn't oily, it wasn't greasy, it was in fact, very light and thin, and there were hints of the paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.


The chicken here comes served with honey hot sauce. 

But because our plate had waffles, along with the honey hot sauce came the bourbon maple syrup as well. 

I liked the latter. 

I had my chicken with it. 

I had my waffles with it too.

Some people might say that the cheddar cheese waffle is ordinary, nothing much to shout about, but I quite liked it, especially since the cheese gave the waffle a bit of chew, with the additional flavor of cheddar to the otherwise floury, fluffy waffle. 

I ate my (cut-up) waffle the same way I ate my chicken. 

Using my hands. 

At first I wanted to eat the spiced watermelon in the same way too, but then I took one look at these cubes of fresh watermelon coated in cumin, coriander, citrus juice, salt, and something else, and I changed my mind. 

It's easy to control the downward flow of thick maple syrup when it drips onto your hand. 

Can't say the same for watermelon juice otherwise. 

So I forked them. :)

Yardbird Southern Table and Bar at Marina Bay Sands might be known for their drinks, their lunches and their dinners, but it is the brunch menu that particularly caught my eye. 

It might be that I already have a love for brunch foods. 

But, tell me, how do you say no to buttermilk pancakes, funfetti pancakes, bacon hash waffle and eggs, chicken and egg biscuit sandwich, quinoa egg white omelet and a doughnut tree? 

I can't. 

And, honestly? 

I doubt diners in Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Miami can (easily) say no too.