Sunday 8 May 2022

More Long Phung

I know, I know- this isn't the first time I've written about Vietnamese food. 

It's also not the first time I've written about Long Phung and the charms of the food they serve there.

But sometimes the pictures come out better. :)

Doesn't matter that you're eating the same thing that you ate the last time, the last, last time, and the last, last, last time.

Today- seated near the entrance- the light is better. 


I had a plate of chicken chop with rice and sunny side up. 

I also had a plate of deep fried Vietnamese spring rolls served with sweet chili at the side. 

It's not whether the chicken tastes the same as the previous time. 

But it is that the chicken tastes the same as the previous time.

Just as good.

One thing about their chop here at Long Phung is that it's cheerful-looking and appetizing to the eye.


Like beef pho, it's one of those meals that hearten you up before a long day, or wind you down when the day is over. 

The meat's gently burnt at the sides, tender on the teeth and sweet on the tongue. 

I've never eaten the meat with the sweet sauce. 

I've never had to. 

The marinate's sweet enough for me. 

Even the spring onions. 

They're sweet too. 

I love the egg yolk with rice.

It's an ordinary thing, but tastes just so good.

Sometimes the simplest dishes are the ones that make you remember them the most. 

Like the Vietnamese spring rolls. 


They look simple and are easy to eat, but they're a lot of work, and it takes a bit of skill (I realize) to stuff all that meat and vegetable tight into the thin vermicelli skin. 

Which is why I prefer the fried ones to the steamed ones. 

Sure, they don't feel as 'clean' but there's less chew, the vermicelli skin is crunchier, and the vegetables inside tastier.