Wednesday 5 February 2020

Chicken Rice from Pratunam

 
Call me not very #supportlocal for this plate of steamed chicken rice (oh the betrayal) but flat out, this dish from Go-Ang Pratunam Chicken Rice has to be one of the lightest, smoothest and healthiest-tasting versions I have ever had.

Now, we can't do a compare between Tian Tian and the other famous stalls dotted around this little island of ours- they have their own distinctive charms when it comes to the selection of chicken, the way it is steamed, how long it is steamed for, how it should be broiled, how the rice is prepared, how long the chicken should be in the soup for... etc etc etc.

Neither can we do a compare of taste, it being so that everyone has their own palate and their own preference.

But there're places where the chicken rice is scary, and there're places where the chicken rice is good.

Go-Ang, fortunately, has become one of the good ones.

Don't ask me how they do it, or what their heritage is- I haven't checked out their story- but even if I did, it wouldn't make much of a difference to me just so long as I get to have a platter of skilfully chopped, carefully de-boned chicken that is steamed so well, and is so tender that even the breast parts are not dry, are not tasteless, and are fantastic enough on their own.

Here their portions are sufficient (no small chicken here, mind)
You can choose to have a single serving of chicken with a plate of rice and a bowl of soup, or you can get half a chicken arranged beautifully, garnished with parsley and Chinese celery (i think!) with bowls of soup for everyone.
There's usually two of us, so the half plattar is our usual choice.

We eat it differently though, the both of us.
 
Me, I like my chicken on its own. I don't slather too much of the sauce, and even if I do, it is just a little dip and nothing more. Not how it is for my dining companion, however, who prefers sauce, sauce, and more sauce, and if one dish isn't enough, there's  always space for another.
 What I especially love about their chicken rice isn't just the chicken, but also the rice.
How other places do their rice, I don't know, but here their chicken rice is light, fluffy, with just a hint of grease and a little taste of the oil. It doesn't stick together in a clump,  is as #eatclean a chicken-infused chicken rice as can be, and best of all, there is no aftertaste.


Really, this has got to be the cleanest-tasting chicken rice I've had (locally) in a while. 


Aside from this, may I also say that the dish seems geriatric-friendly, and if I were to bring a elderly with dietary restrictions out for his/her favorite chicken rice, this place would be it?

After all, on the menu they don't just serve chicken, but have a whole lot of comforting, familiar home-cooked dishes that will satisfy any fussy senior.

It is a carefully planned, carefully organized menu, I must say, and will there be complaints over stewed vegetables, steamed vegetables, fried tofu cubes with chili, more tofu, omelets done Thai style, double-boiled soups, and pretty Thai desserts of red ruby, chendol and sticky rice mango?

I don't think so. :)