Saturday 15 February 2020

a burger at Capitol



 
An all-American 50s diner this place is over at Capitol Theatre, of which I have unfortunately forgotten its name. The place, however, is easy to find- just down the line along the stretch where the blue bakery is by the swinging doors- and you'll find it.
 
We hadn't planned to have lunch there, my colleague and I, but it being the lunch hour, it being that we had an errand after, and it being us feeling hungry no less, decided that the menu looked fine, and so, why not?
 
But here's the irony: I've forgotten the name of the burger.
 
It might have been a Philadelphia-something like a Philly Cheese. It might have been named after Marilyn Monroe or some other superstar of Hollywood reputation. It might even have been named after a legendary , Academy-Award winning theatrical release. 
 
Whichever it is, I can't remember the name. 
 
What I do remember is the size of the burger.
 
It was HUGE (for me).
 
And it had a very juicy, very tasty patty of Angus beef, a carefully melted slice of cheese, fresh lettuce that brought a burst of green juice to the smoked-feel meat, two slices of perfectly grilled crispy bacon, a very delish sauce (no, it wasn't BBQ), and a soft, fluffy, buttery, bouncy bun.
 
On top of the burger, and which I feel might be purely for the sake of the camera, were two large rings of onion.
 
The portion was so large that I decided to eat it the way I do when I am faced with large burgers- first, put the onions and the garnishing aside, split the burger into top and bottom, slice the cheese into half, slather the sauce on both sections, and eat it like two mini burgers.
 
Compromises the experience of eating a large, American-sized burger, I know, but there're no real rules, there're only preferences, that's how it works for me, and that's the way I am.
 
The loveliest memory of having this burger for lunch wasn't just the great-tasting Angus beef patty or the sliced cheese or the onions or the sauce.
 
It was the serving of sweet potato fries by the side.
 
Maybe because the fries were hot and fresh and crisp. Maybe because the chef had scattered just the right salt and the right amount of salt all over the fries. And maybe I so happened to be feeling peckish that afternoon and nibbling on a very long sweet potato fry actually took the jumpiness over and away from my side.